Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Oil Filter Lines
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Glynn,

One think I notice on your car is the way the engine is mounted. It appears like they is some type of an adapter that was made to offset the engine further back in the chassis?

Did you make this? or did it come with the car? Is the firewall modified at all?

If you look at the engine mounts on the pictures I posted, and then the one you posted you will see what I am taking about. I have never seen a mount like that.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 22:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Big Kev,

Could it be that a 9-main bearing engine was installed in Glyn's Mayfair? I don't know which engine the '53 Mayfairs had. Also note the u-joint to connect the steering column to the steering box. A 9-main bearing engine is longer than a 5-mains version by about the engine mount offset.

John

Posted on: 2008/4/8 10:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Also note the firewall mounted brake master cylinder. It looks like Glynn's car has had work done to it.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 10:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I thought all the 288s, 327(5s & 9s), 359s were all the same physical length and generally the same physcial external block size?

That "adapter" looks like it was made from square tubing. Doesnt look "Packard" to me. But I have been wrong before.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 11:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev,

I believe the 5- and 9-main bearing blocks are different in length. More length is needed for the additional main bearings. Unencumbered by any formal research, and relying only on memory,I believe the Mayfairs were built on the shorter wheelbase chassis. I also believe the longer wheelbase chassis was used for the senior cars with the additional length in front of the firewall to accommodate the longer engine. I am often wrong, but never confused. Maybe some of our better informed members could shed some light on this.

John

Posted on: 2008/4/8 13:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Since the heads, oil pan, intake, and exhaust manifolds will interchange between the 288/327/359, I would be tempted to think that they're the same length. I will know in a couple of months when I have a 9 main 327 and a 288 side by side in the garage for comparison.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 13:22
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

H Glynn Elliot
See User information
Kev,

I realized after looking at the photo that I had sent in. That there would be questions about some of the changes I have made to my Packard. The mount is to attach to the Jag XJ6 suspension that i have added to the car.
I have attached another photo that can help to clearify the modifications.

Glynn

Attach file:

jpg  (59.18 KB)
287_47fc0af392949.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/8 19:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Gelliott: What interests me the most about the pictures you have posted is the master cylinder and booster mounted on the firewall.

Could you please go into some detail about the mounting arrangment for the brake pedal.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/4/8 19:37
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

H Glynn Elliot
See User information
John

The pedal box for a XJ^ mounts on a horizontal surface. This necessitated a box arraigement to mount it. It is somewhat of a tight fit but I have managed to get the stock Packard peddle in the correct location in the interior. The dual master and the 4 wheel disc brakes are outstanding. If you have ever driven an XJ6 (4900lbs, looks light) you know how great they handle and ride. The rear end is also from a Jag. See pic.

Glynn

Attach file:

jpg  (53.32 KB)
287_47fc13c0cac60.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/8 19:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Glynn: Could you please post some pictures of the mounting of the brake pedal.

Thanks

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/4/8 20:09
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved