Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Likely the most trivial question in
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
the annals of PackardInfo posts, but what's the best paint and exact color to paint my '47 Super Clipper's tailpipe? I'm asking this on the General, not postwar, Forum, since i consider my car as what it is, a warmed over '42, and a timeless design. Back in the early '90s, i ordered a new muffler and tailpipe in mild steel so it would resonate, sound right, from John Kepich. I'd already painted my exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe with that Eastwood high-temp paint, and the muffler arrived already terne- (i believe) plated or otherwise finished.

I never bothered to paint the tailpipe. It's still in good shape, just the expected surface rust. No one will ever see it but me when i'm underneath the car lubing the chassis, etc. But for the sake of the warm and fuzzy feeling it gives you to gild the lily of a car you really like, any suggestions? A coupla Packard and Cord friends suggested one of those POR-15, etc. paints that converts light surface rust so i won't even have to waste a kitchen scrubber, piece of emery paper or Brillo pad on this non-project.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/3/4 18:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Likely the most trivial question in
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Slide a chrome or stainless cover over it.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 21:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Already have a chrome tip on the end of the tailpipe. I'm asking about painting the length of the tailpipe from behind the muffler back.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 22:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I expect originals were just bare steel back then but IMHO, what is somewhat visible on these 47 and 51 chassis photos would tend to favor darker. Guess it mostly depends on whether you want shine or camouflage. POR 15 might work but don't know how it handles heat. I favor the subtle or less distracted look underneath so if I were going to paint mine, would probably do high temp semigloss black or maybe even one of the gray cast iron colors that Eastwood caries. One of those might be similar to the terne plated look.

Attach file:

jpg  (60.63 KB)
209_4f54392dd8d47.jpg 930X535 px

jpg  (39.10 KB)
209_4f54393b8a5db.jpg 578X447 px

Posted on: 2012/3/4 22:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I painted the pipe on my '47 with high-temp aluminum paint possibly Eastwood but not sure and then put a chrome tip on the end.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thank you, gentlemen. HH56, i'm with you, usually, on being lowkey. In fact, after i had them replated, i painted the insides of my bumpers black. But since the rest of the exhaust system is already gray/silver from the manifold through the muffler, believe i'll paint the tailpipe a similar color, per Packard47. This is silly, since no one'll ever see it. Guess this is like R-R's handwork, finishing on the insides of doors, places no one ever sees.

Similarly, on the bumper guards--i rechromed but didn't use those heavyhanded,bulky postwar "fender shields (as Packard calls them in the parts book)" bumper extensions-- i used a razor to split black windshield wiper hose to make a trim bumper-protecting gasket.

Years later, walking down the street, i see a parked late-model Rolls Royce sedan with that done at the factory. Only car i ever saw that did that.

As written many times by many motoring journalists, all R-R ever had to recommend them was craftsmanship.

We know our Packards are better automobiles, so they deserve any paltry finesse we might bestow.

Now i gotta figure out what shade of silver/gray to use. Decisions, decisions. Life is cruel.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 16:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the steel tail pipe was made from aluminized steel exhaust pipe stock, it should easily retain it's natural appearance for 10 years or more.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 18:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
In the assembly line photo above the exhaust system is visible as shiny black. Other pictures I have show the same. However, that paint burned off on the first trip around the block.

You can get high temperature black paint at NAPA if you just want to cover a rusty pipe, but it will peridocally need to be recovered.

Some of the Eastwood manifold paints have impressed me as very good.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 19:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I expect originals were just bare steel back then but IMHO, what is somewhat visible on these 47 and 51 chassis photos would tend to favor darker.

I don't mean to high-jack your post su8overdrive but I am curious HH, Where did you get photo #7? I assume that's the '51 chassis and if so, I would sure like to see a better view of that assembly line body hoist. And are those chassis connected together as they move down the line?

Posted on: 2012/3/5 20:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
7 is out of the 46 data book and is the 21st series chassis. The other is from the photo archive "Packard Factory Interior" photoshttp://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=9335&cid=61

Won't swear to it but I think the segmented metal tracks the car rides on are the actual moving conveyor parts and is synchronized with the overhead hoist.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 20:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved