Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49/50 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I ended up purchasing the entire drive train from the 2392 four door sedan, Standard Eight I found in the junk yard last week. The engine number is H261253. As I understand it, this is basically the same engine as in my 51 200 w/overdrive, other than the higher-mounted water pump and fan. The old engine has all of the accessories except for the air cleaner, so it is going to be warehoused for future repairs/replacement. The question is the rear axle. It's included in my purchase (as long as I remove it). I don't know if the car has overdrive or not, as the tires are flat and the car is too low to look under and I forgot to look for the o/d knob by the steering wheel. The question is "is the 50 axle the same as the 51?" I would like to have a slightly higher drive ratio that I have now for more relaxed highway driving, but even if it is the same ratio, it would be nice to have for a spare. Comments and guidance?

Attach file:

jpg  (85.33 KB)
1679_4f5c16b224d91.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (122.92 KB)
1679_4f5c16c40c1f1.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2012/3/10 22:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 49/50 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
here is some personal experience with the rear axle. When the one in my 1950 23rd series sedan made some noises I took it to my local mechanic. After he went through it the bill was over $1000. The biggest part of that was a new ring and pinion (mine was the standard 3.9 ratio, which is OK for freeway cruising at 60-65 mph). As long as the thing was all apart I replaced all the bearings and seals.

My advice is to get the axle for spare parts if you can remove, transport, and store it reasonably. I have a spare engine and Ultramatic in my shed and I have used parts from them a number of times.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 13:21
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: 49/50 288
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David for including the remnants of the '50 Eight Touring Sedan parts car in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2012/4/1 20:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved