Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Has anyone used Caswell plating systems?
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Has anyone used any of the Caswell plating systems? www.caswellplating.com
I was looking at the nickel, black oxide, and Copy Cad & Zinc plate systems.

Or if anyone else has any experiences with any other products?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2012/3/14 12:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Has anyone used Caswell plating systems?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I have used the black oxide to great effect. It appears to be a great product, though none of the hardware I have done has been on the road yet.

I am going to try the nickel kit this week, as I need to nickel a fuel line and an oil line for my 30 project.

I will try to remember and report back my results.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/3/17 19:43
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've put these to good use. They are very handy for doing small items that can be a problem for a plating run.

In the old days there were platers who could do a strip and dip for hardware that was already strung up on wire.

Nowadays with the industrial base so eroded local plating is hard to find, although for something like the Packard 12 having everything done at a plating shop ($6000 under hood) is probably still the way to go.

One thing about these home plating kits is that, if you are experienced, you can plate things like voltage regulator bases and relay bases that platers simply cannot handle.

Another thing, you can make up a reverse anode stripping tank using Draino (NaOH). And you can make up a pickle bath using muriatic acid (HCL). This will improve results dramtically.

Posted on: 2012/3/18 9:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A friend of mine has the equipment and has used it successfully for several years. He fixes up about 1 old car a year as a hobby and plates all the small items himself. Keep in mind, you will not be able to do a grille or bumper. But there are hundreds of fittings, handles, and trim items you can do.

He uses the nickle for decorative and trim and the cad or zinc plating for nuts, bolts and under hood parts. He even did a few wrenches with the cad or zinc.

Posted on: 2012/3/18 11:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved