Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Has Anyone Used the Caswell Gas Tank Coating Products?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Just curious about this product. Paying $70-$100 bucks to do it myself versus $150+ to have it done professionally.
I called a radiator shop to ask about the gas tank for my car and they first said $150 then asked what kind of car I have..a '55 Clipper..then, of course they said "well in that case it could be more.."

Posted on: 2012/3/17 20:38
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Re: Has Anyone Used the Caswell Gas Tank Coating Products?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
On 06/25/2010 I paid GASTANK-RENU 348.74 to do the gas tank in the 56 Patrician. Expensive, but they have a very good guarantee. GASTANKRENU is a franchise. I did have them add a ground wire to the tank itself because their sealant covers the entire tank and you lose the ground thru the straps.

Posted on: 2012/3/17 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I have used Caswell gas tank sealer and was happy about it. Did a tank on a 66 Dodge ten years ago and it is still fine.

The sealer is straight epoxy resin. You might be able to buy it cheaper locally, I don't know. They give the exact name on their web site.

Having done one tank, I would never do another if I had a choice. I would buy a new tank if one was available or have the old one done by professionals.

The cost of the sealer is nothing, you will spend that much again on cleaning products and paint for the outside. Not to mention several days work cleaning, painting and repairing.

Should also mention that after cleaning out the old dead gas and rust using lacquer thinner and soap I dried the tank and sandblasted the inside by sticking the sand blaster in the fill hole and gauge sender hole. This did a great job of cleaning and was quicker and easier than sloshing around a bunch of gravel.

Posted on: 2012/3/18 11:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Incidentally while looking for a gas tank for a 49 Chrysler recently I found a lot of listings on the web for various gas tanks including some "generic" ones meant for hot rods.

They may not make an exact replica of a Packard tank but I bet you could find one that was very close in size. It is possible to change filler and outlet locations by soldering in new fittings. I would sooner do this than mess with an old rotten tank. New tanks are as low as $80.

Posted on: 2012/3/18 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Thanks guys! As always your opinions are very valuable.

Posted on: 2012/3/18 19:17
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gas Tank Renu +1

Really the only way to go to get a tank back that will probably out last all of us. They media blast the tank inside and out and then coat the tank inside and out with a baked on finish. Also it's guaranteed for life.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 14:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So what is the possibility to POWDER coat the OUTside of a leaky tank to keep it from leaking????

This has come up at the Cushman and Indian discussion groups. One person claims he has POWDER coated the OUTside of at least 6 differenttanks with good results in spite of any leaks. Altho he never indicated WHY he powder the tanks.

I'm not famiiar with powder coating. Never had anything powder coated. -PV8

Posted on: 2016/6/21 20:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Never heard of powder coating to stop a leak. The powder melts into a solid plastic like substance so it is mostly a continuous hard coating melted onto the metal. Impervious to most things we would normally run into as long as it isn't scratched.

Am assuming the guy that has coated the tanks was talking motorcycle tanks?? If so, it is one thing to hold off a leak in a small tank that is mostly stationary vs a 20 gallon tank where the bottom can flex or get hit by road debris.

Posted on: 2016/6/21 20:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Motorcycle tank is subject to extremely high vibration and heat from engine (expansion/contraction). Flexxing of the 20 gal. tank is a good point however. BUT, i'm not sure the flexing would be anymore critical than the vibration. maybe so.

Posted on: 2016/6/21 21:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not familiar with powder coat process. Supposedly requires oven baking. So maybe no ovens big enuf for a 20 gallon tank and therefore noone ever tried to powder coat a car tank????? I don't know.

Posted on: 2016/6/21 21:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved