Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packards by Region
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I haven't been really searching for a vast array of items for my car as it was pretty complete when I purchased it but in consideration of those that I have hoped to find in a more local environment, I've concluded that there is a slim availability and limited supply of complete cars, parts or parts cars here in Florida and southern Georgia. I started doing a litle research and it certainly appears that Packards were a car of regional choice. Surprisingly, it appears that Packards were the overwhelming choice of Californians when it comes to sales and support followed by Michigan. Much of the midwest seems to have been pro-Packard with Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois Ohio and Indiana being well represented. On the east coast it seems to be Massachusetts, NY, New Jersey,and Pennsylvania and ultimately Texas being the lone southern leader. Texas may have been determined by sheer size more than anything. I wonder why Packards seemed to have had such a regional following. I know Packards were an expensive car but perhaps ownership was based on population more than anything.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 12:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Packards by Region
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gator,

Maybe most of the Packards were purchased elsewhere and only used in Florida during vacations?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/3/19 13:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good question. Hard to say if entirely population. Southwestern New Mexico was not very populated then. The small town -roughly 4000- in New Mexico I grew up in had 7 full time Packard residents that I remember. Closest dealerships were in ElPaso and Albuquerque -- 120 & 150 miles away so took some work to buy new. My father did buy a new 51 in Albuquerque though.

The town itself was typical southwestern low income -- more of a Chevy place for sure since that was the biggest dealership--although most all brands were represented. Was a "warm climate" tourist mecca so that may have something to do with our high number -- getting visitors which came for the winter and then stayed for the "waters". Perhaps some had Packards and traded them. If so, no idea why because I'd be surprised if there was much of a bargain to be found vs the big city. Only explanation I can think of at the moment.

My dad skewed the total with his two 51s but even in lean times when he barely had a window and pot to throw thru it, had driven Packards. Some were well used by the time he got them though. Along with his, there was a 50 and a 22nd series and another early 50s model. In the late 50's, a couple of 56 Clippers came to town and stayed.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 13:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Two thoughts come to mind.

We had a Packard dealer in Savannah, GA, dad purchased a 23rd series new that was my car maybe ten years later, still later I had a couple of 55's when they were just used cars and not collectable, but in our coastal area and I suppose other parts of the south, rust was more of a problem than in some dry western climates, maybe they just didn't survive as well in the south.

Over the years as Packard's became more collectable, perhaps incomes were higher in certain areas of the country allowing more old cars to be saved and collected in those area. I find the same result, I almost never see a for sale advertisement that is not from a far distance away from the south.

Nothing to prove those thoughts, just an opinion.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/3/19 15:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From post #1 above:
quote:
"Surprisingly, it appears that Packards were the overwhelming choice of Californians ... Michigan. Much of the midwest ... with Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois Ohio and Indiana.... Massachusetts, NY, New Jersey,and Pennsylvania and ultimately Texas ..."

Shit. Not surprising at all. Remeber Packard was an EXPENSIVE luxury car. The states u mention were rather very high income states due to high industrialization, union arms for grunt levels, "money Made the old fashion way" (i.e. inheritance) etc.

I'm in Tn with strong Confederate background as well as industrialized north background. I've heard many an old timer speak of how ruff it was in the south east as many had went to the north and Cali in the pre-war era just to get enuf money to buy a pair of shoes. OR they joined the service just get a suit of cloths that weren't thread bare and some teeth pulled.

Prior to the 1970's auto financing was mostly limited to those with very high collateral or damned good union pay job with a very recognized company. Trendy types at that time just didn't walk into a dealer and finance. They had to marry it.

One must remeber that prior to the mid 1950's, ESPECIALY the PREwar era that most of the vast regions of the US was basically something that resembled Wagon Train days. Only exceptions were concentrated pockets of prosperity in the states mentioned above.

However, it does surprise me that there are so many Packards especial 51-54 models here in the mid-Tn area. There was one dealer in Nashville (mid Tn area). But then again the West Nashville area is home to some of the OLDEST BIG money in the south probably 2nd only to Atlanta.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 16:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
My '54 Clipper came from the Nashville area. The guy I bought it from brought it up to Wisconsin.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 17:28
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8, here's the dealers Tennessee in 1939:

E. Gray Smith, Nashville
Carlton Tire Co, Columbia
Woodford Garage, Cookeville
Yearwood & Sons, Fayetteville
Belote & Raslch, Gallatin
Warren's Garage, Lebanon
Woodward Motor Co, Lewisburg
J.J. Mullican, McMinnville
Overall Cook Motor Co, Murfeesboro
Neal Motor Co, Old Hickory
Shannon & Fuqua, Springfield
Forch, Waverly

Posted on: 2012/3/19 17:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Gator,

Maybe most of the Packards were purchased elsewhere and only used in Florida during vacations?

(o[]o)

That's probably not far from the truth JW however you would think that with Florida's reputation of being a transplant state for retired northern folks, there would of been a lot more Packards that came and stayed as a result of those relocating.

I think there is some truth to support the affects of the environment on cars in Florida and other parts of the southeast. The vast majority of those that retired and relocated to Florida wanted to be near the coastal areas and of course the cars in those days just weren't treated with corrosion resistant materials like the cars are today so I'm sure many fell victim to the harsh salt air climate. Those that didn't were still plagued by the affects of the high humidity so common to inland Florida. My car spent it's early life in inland north Georgia and later South Carolina and was pretty much spared from the environmental impacts. Its life should be extended indefinitely now that its a "Garage Queen".

Posted on: 2012/3/20 7:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also take a look at the Dealership map. That should give you a good idea of the concentrations in certain parts of the county on the aggregate.

Posted on: 2012/3/20 10:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
You're right Kevin, the list in itself shows that California played host to more Packard dealerships than any other state...now I'd like to know why? was it because California was notorious for its prosperity and perhaps money flowed more readily and easily?

Posted on: 2012/3/20 13:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved