Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Fuel Tank Surprise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I dropped the fuel tank to investigate a fuel leak that fixed itself as the tank got low. When I got under there it was obvious that the tank wasn't the original. No Rust. Well, I got it out and discovered the fuel leak was a bad gasket around the fuel sender/pickup.

But I also took a look at the sticker on it. It's a GM tank. Part Number GM28B. Fit's a 55-56 Chevrolet. From what I can tell, it fits perfectly with the stock straps and the filler is in the right position.

Did you guys know this would bolt right up? I was surprised.

The previous owner didn't hook up the sending unit. Am I going to have a problem hooking this up to the stock gauge?

Posted on: 2008/4/10 20:45
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel Tank Surprise
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Which year Packard do u have????

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Chrysler-Ford-Packard used an ohm range of 10-70 for their senders and GM uses 0-90 and I think its reversed. When empty, Packard will be at max resistance whereas I think, but won't swear to it, GM will be at minimum. Best would be to pull it out of tank, hook it up, and see which way it goes. There is a sender, possibly still available from Ford, that will drop right in the Packard tank. Turbopackman has posted the details of that if you want to do a search on the site, or if that is unavailable, you could get the JC Whitney universal and use the directions that are posted in tech tips to install.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Keegan. USE THE X_REF!!
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/parts/searchform.php?PartDesc=sending+unit

HH56 gives good advice. Just hook it up to the gauge wire outside of the tank and test it.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I'm aware of the Ford unit on the x-ref. I guess I was assuming that it wouldn't work with a Chevrolet Fuel tank.

I'll try to hook it up and see what I get. I might have to get used to reading that gauge backwards

Posted on: 2008/4/10 22:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What year is the Packard u have with a Chevy tank?????

If Chevy tank = Packard tank and Ford sender fits Packard then ford sender should fit the chevy. (Most likely).

OR to put it another way, If a=b and b=c then a=c.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 22:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
What year is the Packard u have with a Chevy tank?????

If Chevy tank = Packard tank and Ford sender fits Packard then ford sender should fit the chevy. (Most likely).

OR to put it another way, If a=b and b=c then a=c.

It's a 55 Clipper. I couldn't tell you if Chevy tank=Packard tank. But Chevy tank fits where Packard tank used to be. And the filler neck connects in the right spot. Tomorrow I'll post some picks of the tank and sending unit when I get to the shop.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 22:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Keegan. The Chevy tank retro fit is a GREAT discovery. Ranks rite up there wit hthe Olds oil pump conversion. Many thanks for the tip. I added it to the X-ref real quick last nite.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 7:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Here are the pics of the tank and sending unit. I'm going to test the sending unit with the gauge today and see if it works at all.

The problem is that I'm not sure if the gauge works.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.70 KB)
550_47ff7a4c07294.jpg 800X531 px

jpg  (22.22 KB)
550_47ff7a6deaa32.jpg 800X531 px

jpg  (28.33 KB)
550_47ff7a8455fc9.jpg 800X531 px

jpg  (25.69 KB)
550_47ff7aa34f0df.jpg 800X531 px

jpg  (33.97 KB)
550_47ff7abde92f8.jpg 800X531 px

Posted on: 2008/4/11 9:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Recognizing the fact that this is coming from a novice, I think you might find that this may not work. I just dropped the tank on my 56 Clipper Cust. Const. The entry hole on my tank is directly on the top of the tank, whereas the pics of the Chevy tank show the hole more to the front and on an angle. I am not sure of the electrics but I would be doubtfull, but good luck in any event.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 10:12
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved