Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Water pump/Engine mount
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
As I dive deeper into my project (see my blog)...

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=8950&forum=10

...I occasionally run into minor issues. I am attempting to pull the water pump, and I removed the radiator and grille to facilitate removal and cleaning of the water distribution tube after removing the pump.

My issue is this: it looks like the two lower water pump bolts are partially obscured by the motor mount bracket. I'm thinking that a worn out motor mount may be allowing the engine to sag, thereby blocking access to the bolts.

Here is my question: I would try to raise the engine slightly, but where would you position a floor jack to lift it? The only place that seems likely to position a jack under would be aft of the crossmember, around the middle of the pan. Do I need to use an engine hoist? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (69.29 KB)
4371_4f6f70f17b804.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (60.04 KB)
4371_4f6f710137c8e.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/3/25 14:25
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print 

Re: Water pump/Engine mount
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You've encountered a well-known and frequently encountered situation, yes - the motor mount has sagged, hindering access to the lower bolts. Several ways to tackle it, an engine hoist is one but certainly isn't needed and probably the least-convenient way to do it. There are several ways to approach it, one is that you can put a large flat block of wood under the oil pan as far forward as you can get and with a jack take off just a bit of load, perhaps 1/2 inch, and support the weight. Remove the center engine mount bolts, and then loosen the two large ones holding the mount frame or yoke to the crossmember. Then just push the mount yoke forward (or just remove it) to provide access.

Take a quick look to see if there is anything else that might interfere with the front of engine rising that small amount; in one case I was involved with (1941 senior), it was also necessary to loosen or remove an exhaust header to frame clamp to allow the jack to take the weight off the front rubber mount.

I've also done that job by putting a jack under the vibration damper to just raise the engine 1/2 inch or so. It probably isn't the best way as the vibration damper external ring is rubber-mounted to the hub. That said, it has worked for me several times.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 14:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
You can take a couple of 2x2's fastened to another 2X2 making a U and place it at the front of the bottom of the engine and lift with a floor jack. Don't just try and jack it up on the oil pan. And it would be a good ideal to remove the two front engine bolts and than remove the whole bracket that's in your way. The motor mount looks like it needs to be replaced anyway.
Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 14:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Owen and Wesley,

You are confirming what I figured that I would have to do. Good hint on the exhaust pipe- I can see where that might be a hindrance.

I have jacked engines before at the dampener, but unfortunately the Packard does not allow access to it from below. The U-2 X 4 configuration may be a possible solution, but before I take the time to construct that I will try a large block under the front of the pan. Simple sounds better.

I have to pull my pan too, so eventually I may build a device to get around the crossmember.

Thank y'all!

Attach file:

jpg  (45.66 KB)
4371_4f6f7a3adcff2.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (56.63 KB)
4371_4f6f7a47bd653.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/3/25 15:04
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Success! I used a series of blocks on a floor jack under the frontmost part of the oil pan that I could access behind the crossmember. After removing the two front motor mount bolts, it easily lifted enough to clear the mount bracket.

I will need to get a new front motor mount.

The other issue is: how to remove the water distribution tube without tearing it up?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attach file:

jpg  (62.57 KB)
4371_4f6fcefc2672e.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (88.02 KB)
4371_4f6fcf0e98a46.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:06
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I usually reach in on the upper left corner where there is a gap and grab it with my needlenose vise grips. Tubes that are wet like yours will often come out with a moderate tug.

You are doing a nice thorough job, and although it is "mission creep" you might want to yank your freeze plugs and pressure wash out the block. 1948 was a long time ago and there can be deep sediment--and the plugs themselves can be about ready to go.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 4:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
That's the first thing I tried- the tug I gave it was only moderate, and it seemed frozen in there. Maybe after I flush it it will loosen up.

As for the freeze plugs- do you know what size they are? It would seem that they would be a NAPA item, they may not have a listing by application, but should be listed by size.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 7:18
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When you reassemble, first check the pump body bolts for proper clearance length, those that are nearer the center of the block may be shorter because of the proximity of the cylinder wall. Also, they are threaded into the water jacket so gasket shellac or Permatex on the threads is necessary. Also, check to see if one or more of the pump bolts uses a flat copper washer beneath the head - if so there may be a flat recess in the pump casting.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 9:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...The other issue is: how to remove the water distribution tube without tearing it up?...

Joey, go this ways to partake in experiences our members and perhaps find additional information:

--> Water Distribution Tube Removal (1)

--> Water Distribution Tube Removal (2)

Howard (HH56) has been so kind to look through the Packard Literature and manuals to get a first-hand instruction (attached).

Click to see original Image in a new window

[source: 51-4 manual at PackardInfo.com]

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:15
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Actually, for future reference, the oil pan is strong enough that if you just put a wide board across it, you can jack the engine. What I did after jacking the engine was to put another board between the pulley and the cross member, then gently lowered the engine so that the pan wasn't holding the engine for the entire job (This doesn't look possible without removing the radiator cradle first on your car). Scroll down about half way on this page of my blog.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40

Posted on: 2012/3/26 13:03
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved