Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hubcap issue: 23rd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi. Got hold of a pair of hubcaps I presumed would fit my 1950 standard eight, but it seems that I have an issue. They dont fit! I think the hubcaps areright for the year, but the rims seems to be wrong? The hubcaps I have at the moment is aftermarket items that was on the car when bought. So:

1. Is my rims wrong and if so what caps will fit them. I probably wont be able to find correct rims here.

2. Is it even Packard style rims??

See pictures

Attach file:

jpg  (21.82 KB)
484_47fefd7b6595e.jpg 800X601 px

jpg  (48.63 KB)
484_47fefd8e3eb9d.jpg 800X601 px

jpg  (41.98 KB)
484_47fefd9be4e2f.jpg 800X601 px

Posted on: 2008/4/11 0:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Hubcap issue: 23rd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Packard produced two different types of wheels for the 22nd/23rd series. One with clips riveted on to the wheel which held the hubcap and one without the clips. It appears you may have the type without clips. I believe most of the Packards sold in the USA had the wheels with the clips. I don't know what was used for export but it looks like it may have been the other type. I've never seen the hubcaps for the no-clip wheel offered on e-Bay. I suspect the hubcap you need for your wheels is part number 419954. You might check with the major vendors just to see if they are even available. I'm not sure but I think the no-clip hubcaps are held on by the three stamped protrusions around the bolt area (my wheels with clips don't have these). Unfortunately, between 1942 and 1950 Packard has many different versions of these hubcaps for 16" and 15" wheels (take a look at the parts manual on this website); they all look very much alike on the surface and they are not interchangeable. There was even a service letter on the subject of using the wrong hubcaps during this period. Bottom line... you probably have the correct rims for an exported Packard but finding hubcaps that fit may be a problem.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 11:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think it really depends on if you car came with full wheels covers or the dog-dish style hubcaps.

I have a set of wheels from a 52 Junior that has no clips. Also my '54(55ish) wheels have no clips.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 11:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks
It seems that I have a problem. I hope to still find something that fits. Luckily the rims are in good condition though they are a bit dirty!
Do you think these might fit?

Attach file:

jpg  (18.13 KB)
484_47ffa17833046.jpg 310X310 px

Posted on: 2008/4/11 12:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes those should fit.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 20:13
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree that hubcap will probably fit. In fact, most full wheel (15") hubcaps that hang on by the outside edge -like a trim ring- will most likely work (my '50 Custom had '55 Ford hubcaps hiding under the fender skirts). But... I thought that Packard only started using full wheel hubcaps in 1951. It would be great if there were a complete pictorial reference source of the correct hubcaps by model/year showing both sides, anybody know of one? I found a few references looking around the various vendor sites but no full wheel hubcaps for pre-1951 were shown.

Of course anything with the Packard Hexagon on it is going to look better than naked lug bolts. And if you don't have the exactly correct hubcap on your 58 year-old Packard... how many people in South Africa are going to know?

Posted on: 2008/4/11 22:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think that would make a neat article for the website if someone choose to put together a visual reference of the different hubcaps (full and dogdish) for the various years. Also a wire wheels, artillery wheels, disc wheels, etc. (HINT HINT any of you resourceful Packard history experts).

Also a visual Hood Ornament reference would be good also as I have seen that question come up here and there.

I was also thinking today (while stuck in traffic on my drive home) it would be nice if some folks would document the rebuilding of anything Packard related as an article and have a library of those articles here. Basically along the lines of the Fuel Pump rebuild, and the Paper Filter conversion. Some of the basic things like servicing the brakes and repacking the wheel bearings, while obvious to some of us, may make for a usefull article for someone learning.

I have heard from a few of you wishing that they could help out with the website, but didnt have any original Packard material to donate, but this type of "How-To" content would be just as valuable.

Hopefully this is something we can explore and expand on this year. As I think it would really benifit everyone.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 22:51
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks you guys! and yes JD, they wouldn't even know what a Packard is!

I've come to the conclusion that hubcaps, although beautifull, is less important than for instance getting the brakes to work!

I will keep the ones on the car (even though one is from a cadillac presumably!)until better economic conditions arrive in my continent and I can afford E-bay and shipping! At least with you guys help I now know what to get! This is why Packardinfo.com is important.

Barrie

Posted on: 2008/4/12 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The 22nd and 23rd series did not come with full wheel hub caps. they came with a cap that looks like your second picture. However, there four different caps that look similar. The smaller one is like your picture two others look similar but are bigger around and one (for the customs) has a medallion in the center. The final type fits wheels that do not have the riveted clips. Your wheels look to be the one that use, I believe, part number 419954.

Go ahead and use the large caps you have, at least they are Packard. Then while you get the rest of the car closer to where you want it to be, keep looking. The correct caps are probably available. If not, and you want the car correct, you can get wheels with clips. I know caps are available for those wheels.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 23:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Barrie, There are usually hubcaps on E-Bay. Right now there are three sets for sale, two sets are for the 21-23rd series with the clips and one set of full wheel caps for the 24th and up series for the clipless wheels. I can appreciate that shipping costs and money exchange can be a problem. Hubcaps are not a big issue and I am sure you have other priorities with the car but be rest assured when you are ready they will be available.

Posted on: 2008/4/13 8:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved