Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
262 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 262

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1942 one-sixty (model #1562)
Just popping in
Just popping in

Simon White
See User information
Good Morning!
I am new to Packard ownership and I wanted to ask honestly if it is worth restoring or selling.

I have a 1942 One-Sixty Super Eight Touring Sedan (Model #1562).

The car is all there but is semi-stripped and I am told nothing is missing. I have no idea on what the car is worth in its present state or ball-park figure to restore to a nice driver/show car (I know I cannot afford a Concours restoration).

I have no other information on the car or it's history.

Suggestions and help in value etc... are most welcome.

Thank You....Simon

Posted on: 2012/3/26 8:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 1942 one-sixty (model #1562)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pictures are always helpful when asking about value or restoration costs.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
A '42 eh! Very nice; not many ever made from that particular year.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
If "value" is your concern vs money invested, usually the cost of full restoration far exceeds the value when finished, no matter what condition you start with or the amount in which you paid for it (even free). As Dave mentioned, photos would be helpful, as you may not need a full restoration to make it "usable."

How nice do you want it when you're finished? Show car or tour car?

A 100-point show car is probably worth $40-50,000. Not taking into consideration how much you paid for it, you can easily put in $50-100,000 to get it into that condition.

If you are more interested in having the car as a hobby, as opposed to worrying about the amount it costs, that's another matter. Then you have to consider "opportunity" costs. What else can you buy for $100,000?

Posted on: 2012/3/26 9:49
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The 1562 shares some parts with 41-42 and with other series, including the more plentiful juniors. However, be careful of the "complete" part - trim pieces can be relatively hard to find and expensive. Price a complete taillight. The interior can be done authentically but the wool is not cheap. The advice of knowing what you want at the end is sound.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
The 1562 shares some parts with 41-42 and with other series, including the more plentiful juniors. However, be careful of the "complete" part - trim pieces can be relatively hard to find and expensive. Price a complete taillight. The interior can be done authentically but the wool is not cheap. The advice of knowing what you want at the end is sound.

The 356 engine can also be more expensive to maintain/repair than the 288/327 engines. Are you asking how much you should pay for the car? If so, then as Owen_Dyneto has indicated, pictures of the car are really necessary since the value can vary enormously depending on condition.

Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
If "value" is your concern vs money invested, usually the cost of full restoration far exceeds the value when finished, no matter what condition you start with or the amount in which you paid for it (even free)...

Amen to that! Not trying to dissuade you in any way as Packard ownership can be fun and fulfilling but it can also get pretty darned expensive particularly with the pre-war senior cars. As pointed out already, make sure that the 'nothing is missing' premise is correct. The stainless steel decorative strips on the running boards can set you back a small fortune if you have to go find some (unless, of course, the car has the 'running board delete feature'... photos, photos, photos).

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the running board delete means finding the stainless body trim (not same size as used on running boards) and the fender shields - choose your poison.

Everyone is saying do it because you want to and not to flip for a profit, and you can enjoy the rest

Posted on: 2012/3/26 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I read your caption, "The car is all there but is semi-stripped and I am told nothing is missing." with a sad smile. I recently bought a car in a similar condition and was accurately told that the engine was in pieces but that the all the pieces were there. I rented an enclosed trailer (because of all the parts) and drove two days to pick the car up. From the firewall back the car is complete. The front end had been removed as was described to me. The extra parts were there as described.
After I got home and finally started inventorying the parts in preparation for rebuilding I discovered that the water pump and clutch pad and assembly were both missing and the radiator splash pans and supports were missing. These support parts difficult parts, at best, to find while the clutch and water pump are simply obscenely expensive.
The moral of my story is to be sure before you buy that all of the parts are there and know, in advance, what parts should be there. I take responsibility for not doing enough research to know that some of the much needed parts were missing. Hopefully the previous owner will eventually find them somewhere in one of the storage garages.
I wish you the best of luck with your car and hope it will not be quite as much of an adventure as mine is being. Please keep a blog here on the site and let us know how everything goes. My thoughts are with you.
Gene

Posted on: 2012/3/26 13:45
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Simon White wrote:....new to Packard ownership and.....I have a 1942 One-Sixty Super Eight Touring Sedan (Model #1562)....
G'day Simon,

to PackardInfo and congratulations on the purchase of your '42 Packard. I also invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 19:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved