Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 147

humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Radio/MP3/AM-FM/Speakers etc in my Patrician?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My Patrician has the original wunderbar radio with deluxe optional rear speaker. I'm not much of a radio person, preferring to listen to my mp3 player with headphones, which in this state is illegal.

There are no direct replacement modern radios for this car (at least that I have seen) although people occasionally talk about gutting the radio and installing something newer at considerable expense.

I have been contemplating an in-the-glove box unit with a pair of speakers in the kick panels possibly (relatively simple install out of sight).

What would you do, or have you done? FWIW I prefer classical music

All I really need is an amp and speakers....or do I?

Posted on: 2012/3/27 23:28
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Radio/MP3/AM-FM/Speakers etc in my Patrician?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I mounted an AM-FM cassette player in the glove box and speakers near the kick panels. I don't listen to the radio or cassette that much, but it did function satisfactorily.
I am also a little hard of hearing so can't judge the quality of my setup. It is OK for me but I doubt it would do justice to Pavarotti or Domingo.
I have dual rear antennas and have the right one as originally hooked up. I use the left one for the AM-FM.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 0:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I enjoy good high-fidelty stereophonic sound systems, but I wouldn't wanna hack up the instrument board, let alone the kick panels, doors, or package shelf on such a fine old car. FM conversions to OE radios sound tempting, but I don't butcher a good old Wonderbar radio, either.

There is modern car audio equipment that can be concealed and operated with a remote, and some speakers are still available in surface-mount configurations. Yet, that level of sound quality just isn't that important to me in any vehicle - let alone especially one that's used only ocassionally.

There's just something about the sound of those wonderful old tube-type car radios that I find endearing.

While FM transmitters have been available that allow wireless feed of audio device output to a car radio, you would also need an old FM converter for the Packard's AM-only radio.

However, it was suggested, in another forum past, that one might be able to install an jack, with stereo-to-mono-adapter, in the power supply and speaker unit, but I've not personally explored the idea.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 9:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another possible option if you want to keep all original is the RediRad.http://www.rediscoveradio.com/ Of course, you wouldn't be able to enjoy stereo so that would be the downside to an adapter.

There is one company I know of advertising a plate to fit our existing dash opening for their modern radio install.http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/141 I believe one of our European posters has this option.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I read an article about this outfit. Seems ideal and reasonably priced ($150). I think they are out of Milwaukee.

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/index.html

HH56 - You beat me to it

Sorry for the duplication

Posted on: 2012/3/28 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I wasn't aware of the retrosound model specifically for Packards. It is appealing, although my wonderbar radio does work decently...if you like am.....

Seems like you would remove the radio which is, if I recall correctly, in two ginormous parts. You can then install dual voice cone speakers for somewhat stereo, one in front and one in the rear replacing the current rear speaker. I assume the speaker switch on the dash would be bypassed, not used.

My ignition switch does not appear to have a setting for listening to the radio; it is just on, start or off.... Probably the tube radio uses the entire output of hoover dam when running......

I was aware of the antenna gizmo; just wonder what it sounds like and how well it works.

Decisions!

Posted on: 2012/3/28 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
In about 2000, I had an aftermarket stereo professionally installed in my 55 Pat after I converted it to neg ground.

A tweeter and mid range speaker are installed in custom made front kick panels -- I have the original kick panels. A pair of 6x9 dual cone speakers are in the rear package tray and covered with a custom black sound-transparent material. A subwoofer speaker is installed in a box behind the rear seat center arm rest. A 300W amplifier is installed in the trunk p-side next to the subwoofer box. The head unit will play a single CD and is installed in a custom box inside the center glove box and takes up about the bottom half of the volume; it can be controlled with a remote that is velcro'd to a spot on the inside of the glove box door when not used.

The original radio was left in place and still functions through it's front speaker. Therefore, the whole aftermarket setup is essentially hidden from view and sounds wonderful.

P.S. The stereo install shop told me when I picked it up after the install was completed that they had never had a car in there that attracted so much attention from other customers.

Craig

Edit: here's a pic of the right front custom kick panel:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/3/28 12:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My ignition switch does not appear to have a setting for listening to the radio; it is just on, start or off.... Probably the tube radio uses the entire output of hoover dam when running......

The left or accessory position would be for listening to the radio but you are still correct. Even in that spot essentially everything is on. In the stock wiring, the only difference between the "accessory" and "on or run" positions is the coil is not energized in the accessory position. That prevents starting and if they're closed, keeps points from continually carrying current to the coil and possibly heating and oxidizing.

Radio is fused for 7 1/2 amps so probably pulls around 4 in normal operation. The wonderbar solenoid would kick the draw up when it pulls the needle back to start position.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 12:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
That RediRad seems to be EXACTLY what I'd want, and would save me from having to drill, wire, and solder a jack.

Looks like its as easy to instal as of those old FM converters from back in the '70s, but with one more wire - that is, the audio cable to the portable audio device. An MP3 player should be easy to tuck out of sight.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 17:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
That RediRad seems to be EXACTLY what I'd want, and would save me from having to drill, wire, and solder a jack.

It is certainly tempting, but for a few bucks more I can have actual stereo in a new radio with mp3 jack.....and new speakers....

Posted on: 2012/3/30 20:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved