Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Front Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Could the Lubriplate "white grease" possibly be lithium grease? That sounds like a reasonable solution.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 18:06
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Yes.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/3/30 3:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Men,

I've got an update on the brake problem. Last week I bought brake spring pliers like Joey suggested (that certainly made the job a hell of a lot easier), and stripped the brakes off both front wheels and did the following - touched-up (so to speak) the shoulders on the backing plates, ground and rounded off the edges of the linings for a taper (didn't have one before) and reassembled using Bendix super duper ceramic lubricant. I also refitted the old secondary springs, tensioned the wheel bearings according to specification and adjusted the brakes. The brakes needed to be backed off 15 clicks for free rotation and even then there's a slight scraping, but I'm hoping further bedding-in will allow better, closer adjustment.

Brake performance has definitely been enhanced by all of this but it hasn't eliminated the problem entirely. For example, when pottering along in heavy traffic a gentle application of the brakes still produces an initial, although not severe, pull to the left. Also, the car still wants to drift to the left, again not severe but still obvious. Warren suggests the problem might lay in worn components in the front suspension and I will check this out some time soon.

One other issue, although not necessarily related, is that the hydraulic steering ram (Bendix) is leaking and needs a seal kit fitted. I have a kit but it looks like this a job for a professional as the top will probably be have to be cut and then rewelded. Alternatively, if a full power steering box to suit is available, maybe the ram can be dispensed with altogether. Does anyone know if such a beast exists? Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/4/4 1:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Easy things FIRST:
Swap front wheels from left to rite. if that doesn't correct the pulling to one side then swap front to rear. Sometimes tyres can cause this problem and on some occasions SEVERE pulling to one side.

Check the CASTER!!!! If one wheel is out by more than 2 degrees pulling to one side can occur.

I am assuming that the FLEX brake lines are good and wheel cylinders are ok.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 7:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
That's a good suggestion about the wheels and it will be easier to do that before delving further into the front end. I'm not so sure about front to rear though as I noticed after driving the car for awhile after purchase five years ago that the then front tyres were wearing out fast on the outside edges, although the centres and inner edges still had plenty of tread left. After getting a wheel alignment, I thought it better to put the wearing fronts on the rear. Still, it's worth trying to see if it corrects the steering issue.

About 18 months ago I had all four wheel cylinders reconditioned with stainless steel bores and I also fitted new front brake hoses. I suppose it is possible that one wheel cylinder is sticking and I'm going to check that as soon as I can get my son and son-in-law over to gently rotate the front wheels while I touch the brake pedal.

As far as caster is concerned, I don't know what the setting is but I did have another wheel alignment done about three weeks ago and was told only minor adjustment was required. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/4/4 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also check for worn out control arm bushings. Wheel bearing adjustment.

The wear on the outside edge of tires is due to curvy roads or alot of parking lot type manuevering. Mine wear on outside edge too because we have alot of 50-60 mph curvy roads here. Dont know what roads are like in Oz.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 20:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Down under,,,i have had problems with the front brakes too, but lubriplate,,google it, they are online.

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/13 19:33
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved