Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Ozstatman, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Utica Engine Plant Being Demolished
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Received an e-mail from John MacArhur, VP of the PMCF. It reads (in part):

Subject: Former Packard Engine Plant in Shelby Township

In an article published in today's Macomb Daily , it appears the former Packard engine plant in Shelby Township (Utica) will soon be a memory. Located in the NW corner of the former 560 acre site along Mound Road, the site was later a Ford plant and then Visteon. Now vacant for about 3 years, demolition permits will soon be issued according to Township officials. Once this is gone, our historic 14 acre site will be all that remains of the former 560 acres. If you go on line to The Macomb Daily web site you will see it as a feature article today (Tuesday).

I am sure we can get local folks to photograph the end for our records. Soon we will celebrate our 10 th anniversary of being in actual possession of our 14 acre site (June 1, 2002). We have come a long way since Ford Land presented us the ceremonial key!

You can find the link here:
http://www.candgnews.com/news/demolition-vacant-visteon-plant-gets-go-ahead

--Roger--

Posted on: 2012/4/14 11:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Utica Engine Plant Being Demolished
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hello All,

Here is a photo of my 1955 Clipper Super in front of the Visteon Plant. The photo was taken in 2003 by the previous owner. Just thought you would like to see it.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (65.59 KB)
565_4f89e7d89c774.jpg 1120X724 px

Posted on: 2012/4/14 16:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Thanks for the heads up on this. Will need to take a drive out there soon.

Does anyone know what the plant was used for during the 54 years after Packard? And what become of all that sparkling new equipment that Packard had installed?

Posted on: 2012/4/14 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Usually what happens -- and I believe this was the case with Utica -- is that if a buyer cannot be found for the product (someone who would take all the tooling and machinery), then a surplus auction is held and the machinery is dispersed. Anything left over gets sold for scrap value.

After Packard exited the property, Utica Bend group of Curtis Wright took over and there were some jet engines built there. Test cells for the jets were added to the plant. But C-W didn't stay long, as the PPG and the plant were for sale by 1962, which is when I believe Ford took it over. They used it to make various interior trims like door panels and instrument panel pads. At some point, Ford even used the PPG Lodge and Repair buildings to make and store older parts for service, but I think they were no longer actively using those by the 1980's.

The linked article gives you an idea of how Ford's business at the site ebbed and flowed in recent years.

Posted on: 2012/4/14 23:52
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

KD
See User information
A final walkthrough would sure be nice....

Posted on: 2012/4/15 21:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved