Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 183

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cleaning old gas tanks
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a gas tank from a 50 car. The Flackmaster told me that it is the same tank as on my 39 120 once you change out the neck. The tank is in good shape, but has a lot of old varnish in it. Anyone know of a good way to clean it out at home? Trying to avoid the cost of taking it to the radiator shop. thanks

Posted on: 2012/4/16 12:51
 Top  Print   

Re: cleaning old gas tanks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Once the loose dirt and crud is out I would think the same dipping solution used on carbs would work. All claim to remove varnish and some claim to be safe for most metals. That might bear checking if the inside is plated. Some good quality sealer might also be useful after cleaning as well.

Advantage to the carb cleaner would be you can get a gallon or so to pour in the tank and when done, put it back in the can and use it for the carb or fuel pump. Of course with the price of carb cleaner, the shop might look reasonable.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 13:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved