Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

turn signal flashers
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
On my 51 200, the turn signal indicator light hasn't worked in a long time. Last year I put in a new three prong "Heavy Duty Flasher, fuse input lead, 535, 6 volt, 32 CP Max 6" that I got at CarQuest. The turn signals would work, but not the indicator light. Upon talking to one of my older car mechanics, he suggested replacing the flasher. I found an old one in the parts bin and put it in. Low and behold the indicator light now works. I'm wondering if the one I bought last year had too much capacity for the bulbs, and therefore wasn't working properly. Any suggestions out there?

Posted on: 2012/4/18 14:47
 Top  Print   

Re: turn signal flashers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Would also love to know. Have had quite a problem getting new flashers to light the indicator. I save every old flasher I can find, even take them apart and clean them.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a little comparison of today's model 535 flasher (NAPA NF535) which is supposed to be the direct replacement for our 6v flashers to an original Packard issue 6v model as used up till 48 - 49 timeframe. Electrically, the later 1950 on plug in types are identical except they go by 1,2,3 on the wiring diagrams instead of X,P,L. Did not look at a 12v version but expect it is the same electrically.

May have found the problem as to why some have issues with no indicator flashing. The replacements use a transistor to turn on the dash indicator. The old style uses a second contact which also appears to be thermally operated. It almost looks like a relay arrangement. Thermal closes a contact to bring in what appears to be a relay arm. Would have to fire it up to verify exactly how it is working.

Will be the first to admit my transistor theory was over 40 years ago, very basic and not used since then. One of you better electronics guys please feel free to contradict. The schematic as I believe it to be is shown.

The transistor appears to be a 9012 which lists out as a PNP. I believe the transistor as used is for a 6v negative ground and that may be the issue. It alone lights the indicator lights while the conventional thermal operates the signal lamps. When the thermal switches the signal light contact on it also is supposed to turn on the transistor but at what I think is reverse polarity, it can't.

One way to check would be to temporarily switch the battery and see if that theory holds -- but if the flasher has already been installed, the transistor may be toast.

Anyway, my two cents idea and probably only worth half that.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.81 KB)
209_4f90be9f73a3d.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 2012/4/19 20:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks - very interesting study and probably right on the money. My Dad gave me several old 6 volt flasher units. Didn't realize what a valuable prize that was. I wonder if I could wire in a separate light as an indicator light. I get accused of being old enough without going down the road with the turn signals going.....

Posted on: 2012/4/20 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Disconnect P terminal and reconnect it to L terminal????

Posted on: 2012/4/20 22:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
After trying numerous flashers in our 1951-1953 Packards, the only one that I and several others in our club has found that works properly is a Tung-Sol 6-volt 229D.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 9:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

packick wrote:
After trying numerous flashers in our 1951-1953 Packards, the only one that I and several others in our club has found that works properly is a Tung-Sol 6-volt 229D.

The 229D is the top picture with contacts instead of a transistor. There is also a P229D which appears to be the plug in type. Used on many cars.

Still available from several places but looks like they are starting to get scarce. After a quick look at a few of the sites, NOS Tung-Sols are sometimes double & triple what the 535 costs at the same site. As Owen_Dyneto keeps reminding us, Stock up now.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Finally cured the mystery of the non functioning front right turn signal. While changing the modern flasher fuse back to an older model, I noticed that one of the metal tabs in the flasher holder under the dash was recessed. I pulled off the two curved metal tabs that hold the holder to the bracket. What I didn't realize is that the flasher fuse holder is just a plastic device,with several metal connectors feeding into the back. I repositioned the metal connectors into the plastic and reinstalled the two curved metal tabs. I then inserted the flasher fuse and lo and behold, the turn signal worked! Never thought about the holder as the culprit. Hope this helps others - let me know if anyone wants photos.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 22:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are you speaking of the 3 wire holder the flasher unit plugs into or the 6 wire plug connecting loom to switch?

Are you still running the Tung-Sol 229D flasher or did you happen to try the supposed 535 replacement again after fixing the connection.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 22:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
This was the device that three prong flasher fuse plugs into. I did try the NAPA 535 "trust me it fits" flasher - it does work, but the turn signal indicator light on the dash does not. It does work with the older flasher fuse.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 20:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved