Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Altered hood ornament, was this popular back then?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I have recently purchased a '50 Packard Standard Eight Touring Sedan that has an 'altered' hood ornament (see post

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9364&forum=8

I am still wondering if this was practiced back in 'the day' or is mine unique? I have not seen it done on any other Packard. And I am wondering if I should keep it or restore it to original. If so which way, the 'goddess of speed', or 'Cormorant', your thoughts?

Attach file:

jpg  (140.05 KB)
2993_4f98a9ad4408b.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2012/4/25 20:49
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Altered hood ornament, was this popular back then?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hi Bob,
I can't comment on whether the goddess and cormorant were common combinations. Please don't take offfense, but to me it isn't very attractive. Also, philosophically, seems odd to have two themes on the same ornament. If it were me, I would go with one or the other, but not both.
I have a rather similar situation with my '47 Clipper. A cormorant was added to the "spear". I am not certain if in the day this was common, or "authorized" but I have seen others like it, and to me the spear and bird don't seem to clash, stylistically. Picture attached, (I hope!).
By the way, if you decide to go with a goddess, I have one in decent but not perfect shapte that I bought in error that I would be willing to part with for what I paid.
Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (90.78 KB)
4217_4f98b307287fa.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/25 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Mark Graber wrote:
... By the way, if you decide to go with a goddess, I have one in decent but not perfect shapte that I bought in error that I would be willing to part with for what I paid.
Mark

Mark, thanks for the reply and you're right about your alteration, they don't 'clash' but make a beautiful design.
I am interested in the goddess, PM me with the details and $.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 21:39
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yours is the only one I've seen. I would definitely pick one or the other and go with it. The current configuration looks like either the Goddess is under attack, or some sort of mythological romance is being consummated.

Both my '50 and '49 have the Cormorant, but I really like the stylized Goddess of Speed too.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I was just thinking about the Packard shield emblem. Isn't there a Cormorant on the Knight's head?

Posted on: 2012/4/25 21:46
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I personally liked the Egyptian on the 22nd and 23rd series. Different tastes?

Posted on: 2012/4/25 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I have the Egyptian- it came with my partially disassembled '48, but I have always liked the Cormorant.

It will be interesting to see if the Egyptian grows on me after I paint and reassemble the car.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 23:20
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:
I have the Egyptian- it came with my partially disassembled '48, but I have always liked the Cormorant.

It will be interesting to see if the Egyptian grows on me after I paint and reassemble the car.

The Egyptian has grown on me as well. But there is something about the cormorant with it's wings up looking through the windshield as you drive. If I can get the base for the cormorant and buy the goddess of speed from Mark Graber, I could put whichever one suits me at the time.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 0:16
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Bob,
Thanks for the compliment to my car. Actually, the bird makes a handy lane marker and reference point for the front end.
It does seem to add a sense of formality and something for my brother to photograph!

Attach file:

jpg  (17.90 KB)
4217_4f98e94bcd7eb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/4/26 1:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi

I have the "kinda boring" Goddess of speed. But its "understatedness" works well with the shape of the 48 - 50.

Together with the Cormorant it seems a bit much and not correct, but if you as the owner is fine with it ... so no problem. I would try one or the other to keep the heritage going. I think that the Egyptian is scarce? - And very good looking, If you can find a good one, not many cars seem to have them, none in Africa at least.

Good luck, and a pretty car! Love the color!

Regards

Barrie

Posted on: 2012/4/26 10:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved