Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 182

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 four-barrel carburetors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Packard advertised four-barrel carburetors in 1953, but key start was not introduced till 1954. Did the 53 four-barrels have start switch on them? I have never paid that much attention to the differences between 53 and 54. Would one of you 1953 owners care to comment??

Posted on: 2012/4/29 8:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 four-barrel carburetors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did the 53 four-barrels have start switch on them?

The 53 models had an early version of "voice command" with speech recognition software.

No, seriously - 1953 still used the Carter starter switch on the carburetor. IIFR the suffix after the Carter carburetor number designated whether it was with or without the intergrated starter switch.

Posted on: 2012/4/29 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
...Did the 53 four-barrels have start switch on them?...

Looks like it.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.22 KB)
188_4f9d54b5afe3a.jpg 512X353 px

Posted on: 2012/4/29 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Yes they did. JD's photograph does a very nice job of showing it. I have two spare carbs new in the box rebuilds that came with my car. Unfortunately they were in the trunk and caught a lot of moisture as the car sat thirty years. I can make close up photographs of the switch installation to carb if you would like them.

I have certainly used "voice command" in the past..... "start you @#)($#(##*#$%$er". Always worked.

Posted on: 2012/4/29 17:09
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Randy, they're pulling your leg. Real support has to be of value. Please find attached an extreme close-up of a detail in the Ross/JD photo which could be helpful to you.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.04 KB)
757_4f9dc506cfea6.jpg 500X365 px

Posted on: 2012/4/29 17:45
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Attached the 1953 Service Counselor vol. 27, no. 1 on the subject of the "WCFB-Carburetor Model 985S".

[source: Packard Literature and Manuals - Service Letters, Counselors & Bulletins]

Attach file:

pdf Size: 628.66 KB; Hits: 53

jpg  (15.93 KB)
757_4f9dcbc98d669.jpg 500X400 px

Posted on: 2012/4/29 18:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I used the expletive @#)($#(##*#$%$er" once and the damn door locks wouldn't work anymore AND the car started emitting CO even when it wasn't running. I have since become much more careful in my choice of language.
-------
Gerd, they should be careful pulling my leg.
They will get the same result as when pulling my finger.

Posted on: 2012/4/29 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen_Dyneto wrote...

Quote:
IIFR the suffix after the Carter carburetor number designated whether it was with or without the intergrated starter switch.

1955 and 1956 WCFB models for Packard applications are 2232S and 2394S, respectively; the 1955 WGD is 2393S. Yet, none of these carbs have such a switch.

I believe that all model numbers for Carter carbs ended with an "S".

Looking over the parts lists included in the Carter carb sheets that I donated to this site, the "S" suffix appears to be applied to part numbers for assemblies. Then, any alpha characters following the "S" were used to identify a significant design change - like alpha notations on an engineering drawing.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
He's a dog in the manger, isn't he? S like starter, S like switch, S even like starter switch, S like, whatsoever, near to perfect with an almost natural and especially soothing sound.
And now? S "like alpha notations on an engineering drawing."

Randy, if you interested in the history of science then ok but otherwise ignore his completely unromantic list.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 9:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved