Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Cavalier door lock problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi all! My drivers door isn't staying shut like it used to anymore. It seems that the lock mechanism (the toothed gear about the diameter of a golf ball on the door) isn't working correctly. Will one off of a Clipper work? Just curious. I know where a couple of parts Clippers are. Thanks folks!

Scottie

Posted on: 2012/5/1 11:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Cavalier door lock problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
They are the same 51-54.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
My drivers door latch was the same way. All that has happened is, one of the coil springs has busted. The one that keeps the locking pawl down. I'm sure the one you have can be salvaged. I bought a spring assortment from Lowe's to pull the pawls down. Seems to work fine for me, if you want to try it.

Here is a post explaining the latch mechanism.The spring on pawl "C" is more than likely the culprit.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6949&forum=4&post_id=75038#forumpost75038

Posted on: 2012/5/1 12:14
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I think new ones are available on ebay.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hey GearRat, thanks a bunch for the link and the pics! They really give me a better idea what I'm dealing with. I agree, its probably spring "C" in your pic that is giving me problems. Hope its not the cam itself! Thanks again,

Scott

Posted on: 2012/5/1 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I wouldn't worry about it being the cam, those things are TOUGH. A simple spring from pawl "C" to the mechanism body should do the job. I can try to take a picture of the way I have mine rigged.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/5/1 17:58
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

Posted on: 2012/5/2 5:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Garret (GearRat, I like that!) I appreciate your offer. I wouldn't want you to have to remove the lock from your baby just to take a pic for me though! Thanks to everyone for your assistance, I would have such a difficult time keeping my baby on the road without it. By the way, my girl won best in show at a local car show this last weekend. There were at least sixty cars in the show and boy, was I suprised!

Posted on: 2012/5/2 10:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved