Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Chassis Marking
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
Yesterday while cleaning my 1950 Deluxe Eight chassis I noticed factory marking (passenger side ~rear door). Some of the information can be made out but not all.
Here's what I can make out - I think:

AOS 7-28-49
Pack 32605-6 (or S?)
849 120??...?? (or 948 120....?)

I 'd like to repaint the "correct" marking so if anyone has an idea of the format or logic that was used back in the day please let me know.
-Thanks!!

Attach file:

jpg  (124.40 KB)
3861_4fa72c3d3e1d9.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (128.77 KB)
3861_4fa72c6d53959.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/5/6 20:59
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Chassis Marking
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been a couple of others post photos. Perhaps one of those might give a better idea of original looks. Hank's 55 is shown on page 15 of his bloghttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=653&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=140 and somewhere later is his finished version which looks pretty good. Maybe he can remember that page. Various suggestions as to the information is also spread thruout his blog.

The format and other questions have been asked and IIRC, only for sure data is the first line. AOS stands for A. O. Smith - company who built Packard frames and date is when manufactured. Suspect the second line identifies it as Packard and possibly the engineering drawing or the part number for the bare item as shipped to Packard. Once Packard added other components it became the part number found in parts book. Third line is unknown except the 120 is most likely wheelbase. Maybe more data has come to light since the original discussions.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 8:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved