Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 patrician brake drum question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

joekocjan
See User information
Kind of a dumb question but I figured I'd ask before I tore somthing up. How do I get them off? I took the nut off of the end and adjusted the shoes back but they won't budge. Guessing I need a puller of some sort or do I just beat on them? Maybe a little heat?
Thanks Alot
Joe

Posted on: 2012/5/8 21:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 54 patrician brake drum question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You need a large heavy duty puller. Several are shown in this thread.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=8062#forumpost8062 Don't try with anything light or pry on the drum directly since it can bend. You can usually rent a decent one at the rental places.

Some tips are mentioned in several threads over time but to go over them again, most important is to leave the nut on a couple of turns but loose so drum doesn't go flying when it breaks free. Be patient if not been removed for quite some time. Some didn't budge for a day or more then came loose with authority when it did. Heat has been required on some. Use a medium sledge type hammer to tighten the puller --not a small carpenter or ball peen type.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 21:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

joekocjan
See User information
Thanks alot. I'll take a look

Posted on: 2012/5/8 22:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I've never tried this, but one way is to loosen the nut, drive the car on a rough road. And than when you get back it should come right off. Also don't forget to back off the adjustment for the brakes.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 9:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wesley, I know of others that have used that method. Disadvantage is that if you drive very far with the drum loose you will damage the mating surfaces of the taper and the key/keyway slot which is essential to the fitment of the drum to the axle. Personally, I wouldn't try it, rent, buy or purchase the proper tool.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 9:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I agree, as a last resort. But that's my next step, since I also have a stuck hub on the drivers side. Once I get my other Packard out of the way.

I have all ready tried the hub puller and heat with no effect on getting it off. I did get the other side off, with a lot of work. And when it did come off it sounded like a gun going off. Scared the (what you know) out of me. So don't forget to leave the nut on.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 8:18
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved