Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Best Modern Radial Tire Size for a 1941 Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Does anyone know the best modern radial tire size to put on a 1941 Clipper? I am just looking for cheap black walls for when I do the restoration and then I am going to get nice whitewalls for it once the restoration is complete. Also I am going to look at sand blasting the stock wheels. How do I get the chrome ring off and about how long would it take to sandblast each wheel? I would really appreciate any advice!

Posted on: 2012/5/19 18:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Best Modern Radial Tire Size for a 1941 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Slap some 225-75-15s on there and let her roll.

To remove trim rings without damage, pry the inside edge with a broad long screwdriver or flat pry bar. Do not pry the outside edge.

How long to sandblast depends on the blaster. For a really nice job figure 1/2 hour per wheel with a pressure blaster fed with a five horse two stage compressor.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 20:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Thanks Ross! I really appreciate the info!

Posted on: 2012/5/19 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
The best radial size would be the original bias size, 7.00 x 15. Bridgestone and Yokohama still offer them. Michelin discontinued the size eight or so years ago.

More info on second page of "Tire Tube Help" thread on the 1946-54 Forum on this site.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 22:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Again I appreciate the advice and I have looked at the dimondbacks I really am just looking for a very cheap tire that I can just roll it in and out of my garage! My wife does not like like it sittin in the driveway on jack stands. So really I may drive on them very little around town once I get it running but right now I am looking for a cheap solution to get it in the garage for now.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 5:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If you are just looking for something to go short distances, try your local junk yard. Many sell used tires pretty cheap.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 6:36
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
SuOverdrive,
I am thinking about radial blackwalls for my 47 Clipper. I found the Yokohama tire, but I am having trouble finding the Bridgestone. Do you have a name or model number for the Bridgestone 7.0 x 15? Thanks.
Mark

Posted on: 2012/5/20 18:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Has anyone used this tire before? Coker Classic 3 1/8 Inch Whitewall - 235/75R15 it looks pretty close to the original tires specs Tread Width: 6.58 Overall Diameter: 28.91 Section Width: 9.41 they are listed at $209 a tire instead of $279 for the diamondback 3 1/2 inch whitewall.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Monsignor Graber -- Bridgestone R230 LT radials come in our correct 7.00 x 15 bias ply size.

With these and Yokohama 7.00 x 15 radials still available, it astonishes me why some folks persist in using 235/75R15s intended for 5,500-lb. Stupid Useless Vehicles. Metric-sized radials look hideous on a vintage or Classic car.

BTW, for our '30s Senior-driving friends, Bridgestone, and i believe, Yokohama, also offer a 7.50 x 16 radial.

Unless they somehow "need" whitewalls. I'm for leaving whitewalls to the GMobile concours d'nonelegance crowd. Blackwalled Packards were esteemed in England and at embassies around the globe.

I often think many Packard owners who still don't get it would be better served by the 1941 Cadillac Club of America, formerly known as the CCCA; or the AACA, that considers anything out of the Kelley Blue Book "antique," or one of the other organizations hijacked by the downhome brigade. I just flipped through the current Classic Car, quarterly of the CCCA. Page after page of overrestored monstrosities with whitewalls, and, of course, fog or driving lights you never saw in the day. Aaaand requisite gargoyle hood ornament, despite photographs of late '30s Packard Twelve and Super Eight convertibles in big city showrooms shod with black shoes and adorned simply with the standard baled feather hood ornament so you'd see the car.

The only thing worse than Packard's inept marketing of their world-class junior cars 1938-on, contrasted with Rolls-Royce/Bentley's skillful purvey of their increasingly rationalized "small horsepower models," is our perpetuating Packard's clumsiness. But this brings us back to my closing May 09th comments on the General Forum "This ad would've made all the difference."

Posted on: 2012/5/20 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Bless You, Su8:
On Bridgestone's website, I found the Bridgestone R230 listed with the 16 inch R265. No data listed for the R230, so will check with my local Bridgestone dealer.
Go in peace.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 22:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved