Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 201

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Engine Temperature Guage Inoperative - Where to Start?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Another day, another challenge. I've gotten all of the guages working on my Packard 400's dash working except the engine temperature guage. The fuel guage is fine, as is oil pressure and generator. I've checked the connection to the sensor in the motor and that seems secure. I have ensured that the wires to the temp guage are connected, which they are. There are no blown fuses. Before I start tracking down the separate wires to see if one is broken, any suggestions on where else to start??

(Yes, I have run the engine long enough for it to come up to operating temperature . . . )

Posted on: 2012/5/22 13:47
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Temperature Guage Inoperative - Where to Start?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If oil and gas work, instrument regulator & fuse are OK. Remove the wire from sender and ground it while someone is watching the gauge. If it starts to move toward hot, gauge and wire are OK and problem is sender or ground to sender. If no movement, then wire or gauge. Don't leave the wire grounded longer than it takes to have gauge move to hot.

Senders are a failure item & all the vendors have new. Don't know offhand of a proven aftermarket replacement sender available locally but have an idea of one. Specs at least look like a possibility. We need 90-100 ohms cold and 10 or so hot. This one is good hot, but not sure on cold. IIRC, someone might have tried one already but if you want to try as well, it is an Echlin TS 6464 from Napa at about $12.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.13 KB)
209_4fbbeff380adf.jpg 751X494 px

Posted on: 2012/5/22 14:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
I had the same problem. Dwight Heinmuller sells one that works. After two tries with other new units, Dwight's was the only one that worked on my 56.

Jerry

Posted on: 2012/5/22 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Thank you, gentlemen. I knew that this was the place to ask!

Posted on: 2012/5/22 17:07
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I have the opposite problem. My temperature gauge is always stuck on hot. The car did overheat badly once, could that damage the sensor. If not, does it mean I have a short?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 16:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, it could have baked the sensor which just works based on resistance to ground. Could be fried open or closed (not sure which way is hot).

Posted on: 2012/5/23 16:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Actually is it stuck on HOT even when the ignition is off? If so, then you have a gauge problem itself.

If it jumps right to hot when you turn the ignition on, then you probably have a sensor problem.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 16:34
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If we are speaking of your signature or posting name car, believe the temp gauge is entirely mechanical on the 46-7 Clipper. There is a thin metal tube protected with spirally wound armor between the gauge and a sensing bulb in L rear corner of head. If the engine overheated, it is possible the bulb or gauge was overpressurized and damaged. It is also possible if someone tried to remove the sensor and it was as stuck as they frequently are, the tube might have been kinked or broken or sensor could have been damaged.

The needle should rest at cold so it is possible something has either bound the needle or probably more likely the bourdon tube in the gauge has been stretched and damaged.

Look for any damage or sharp bends in the tube. Chances are the assembly will have to be removed and repaired. There are some how-to instructions on repair and replacing the bulb/tube by soldering in pieces from a modern unit. Some have had luck with the procedure and there are instrument companies that specialize in the repair as well

Posted on: 2012/5/23 16:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Oh yes...sorry, forgot that the earlier types are not electrical.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 16:58
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Thanks. You are correct that my 1946 packard temperature gauge is mechanical. I do not see any obvious bends or kinks in the cable. The gauge is stuck on hot even when key is turned off. I guess my next step is to find the instructions for repairing you mentioned.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 14:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved