Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 213

Ozstatman, Packard5687, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

treadle vac brakes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
im sure that this topic has come up before,but i have a 56 clipper with a rebuilt treadle vac and noticed the pedal will kind of pulse like its being pulled down buy itself and then the pedal will not come back up unless you pull it back up.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 17:25
 Top  Print   

Re: treadle vac brakes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a large spring inside the vacuum section which is supposed to keep the pedal up.

With engine off, pedal will move down a little before getting hard but should return all the way back when you take your foot off. Do you feel the spring pushing the pedal back up? If so, but not with engine running then the vacuum section needs checking. There are some rubber valves which may have deteriorated.

If no return in either condition, the spring may have broken, retaining clip might have moved out of position causing a bind, or the piston may be gummed from dry or improper lube or brake fluid.

A known issue is brake fluid might have leaked past the piston shaft seal and congealed in the vacuum section. There is a gasket issue which can allow the fluid to be drawn into the vacuum side instead of returning to reservoir in case of a leak.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 17:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
i can feel the pedal return when the car is off,but when running you can see the pedal being sucked down when you barely push on the pedal and then will stay down.i noticed when the pedal is down i can just tap on it and it will come back up.the whole unit was rebuilt about 8 months ago this is the first time i am able to drive the car.thanks wes

Posted on: 2012/5/22 18:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure how much time the typical rebuilders spend inside the vacuum piston section since it's generally reliable. Suspect cleaning the can and lubing the power piston leather seal is about it. The majority of time and parts are undoubtedly spent on the hydraulic section where problems usually are found.

I think a consultation with Ross or one of our other mechanics on site known to be familiar with the vacuum side would be a good idea. Maybe something simple or maybe in need of a thorough rebuild of that section.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 19:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Either the poppet valves in the vacuum section are leaking, or one of the return springs has broken/ bent. Possibly the vent hole in the reaction diaphragm is plugged. Anyway, the vac piston assy needs to be gone through.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 21:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
i noticed that there is no check valve in the vacuum hose like a typical brake booster today,so i added one and it seems to soved the problem.the pedal no longer stays down and the fludder is gone.thanks to all that replied.wes

Posted on: 2012/5/24 23:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Waddya mean - NO CHECK VALVE??
There is one at the rear of the carb where the hose for the TV attaches. Or are you speaking of some other vacuum hose??

Posted on: 2012/5/24 23:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
nope no check valve,just a fitting that the hose attaches to for the booster.i have the 2 barrel carb so it may be different from a four barrel

Posted on: 2012/5/25 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It needs the check valve. Consult the manual. Put the check valve in and try it. PRobably won't solve the problem but the check valve needs to be there anyway.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 8:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you haven't already you might want to visit this excellent production by Ross Miller.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?c8/404

The check valve is the same whether you have a 2-bbl, a 4-bbl, or 2x4 bbls. Need a picture of it?

Posted on: 2012/5/25 8:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved