Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"Lazy" ignition points
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had a curious little problem with my 34 Packard last week which might prove valuable to others with cars where the ignition points are not pre-assembled as a set but rather use a separate base plate and arm.

In anticipation of the upcoming Henry Joy Tour in Mass I decided to pull the distributor, dress and gap the points, and re-synchronize them so both sets of 4-cylinders are timed correctly. The car was running just fine before that - makes me think of the "if it ain't broke....", but the points did need gapping and synchronization. On driving to the show the car ran perfectly below 45-50 mph but above that it developed an erratic miss which I assumed must be ignition related.

Pulled the distributor and rechecked the gap and synchronization, nothing amiss. Using a steady rest I clamped the distributor body in my lathe and chucked the drive end to the lathe chuck. I put an ohmeter across first the first set of points and ran the rpm up, no problems. But when I tested the second set of points, they became erratic at higher rpms. So I had a recalcitrant set of points. Though I didn't measure the point tension, it seemed more than adequate (spec is 20 oz) and more or less the same for both sets. I removed the offending point arm and put a tiny spec of graphite grease on the pivot post and retested - problem apparently solved.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 11:42
 Top  Print   

Re: "Lazy" ignition points
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D,

Thanks for sharing this experience. Interesting trouble shooting technique with your lathe "distributor tester". Seems all too often it is the little things that can give the most trouble. Binding point set pivot, who would have thunk?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/5/25 13:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: "Lazy" ignition points
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks, JW. A Sun distributor machine it's not, but it's a helpful diagnositic tool and maybe someone else will benefit from the idea. Here's a snap from a while back while I was working on a 36 Super 8 Delco unit.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.39 KB)
177_4fbfdca777d46.jpg 1280X886 px

Posted on: 2012/5/25 14:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved