Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Newbie questions
Just popping in
Just popping in

Glenn Theobald
See User information
Newly acquired 1937 Packard

I just purchased this car. It was sitting in a neighbor's garage since at least the 1960's.
Last State inspection was in 1947
Numbers found on car are: 322976
V # I096-I606
Build date 11/19/1936
Delivered to Marfred Motor Sales Inc
Milebanon, Pa.

Number stamped in casting on engine 841258

I am currently deciding whether to restore to original glory or to sell.
I'm told this is a model 120 sedan, but do not know if that is accurate. It does not have the spare tire on front fender.

I would appreciate any rough estimate on cost to properly restore and value before and after restoration.

Condition:
The outside is very solid, looks to be complete except for missing trunk hinges (these may be in one of the boxes I also received with unrelated parts ).
No side view mirrors???
Some minor rust around trunk lid.
I removed plugs and pored oil, installed 6 v battery and it cranks. I did not want to go beyond this until it gets checked out.
Inside all gauges are there but do not know if they work.
Upholstery - bad shape, mostly torn out but seat frames are there.
Chrome- basically good but will need replated.
Hub caps mismatched and slightly dented.
One side window glass is cracked.

If I restore does it detract if the color is changed from original to another color of that model year? Does the interior need to be original type fabric? Where can I get info on interior to aid in restoration?

Thanks for your help.

Attach file:

jpg  (222.91 KB)
4628_4fc56ec366197.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/5/29 19:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Newbie questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
Looking at the one picture it appears to be either be a slant back (1093) or Club Sedan as it looks like its minus the rear quarter windows so either 1093 or 1096 it looks like its more a 1093 than a 1096 to me from the picture. A picture showing a rear shot would be quite helpful. Either of those two body styles are more desirable than a 1092 Touring Sedan which have the quarter windows. And are much more common. I can see many parts missing, ex bumpers, hood chrome, head light parts etc. If these are in fact missing, then getting a car to be complete and nickel and dime you to an extent where you have more in it than its worth. 37 120's are kind of my thing and a few others, Flackmaster for one. He would most likely concur with what I have written. If you want to dive into a very desirable car then I for one would help you acquire the needed parts. And I bet David Flack would too.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 20:14
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
Sorry I did not see the 1096 from your post. So it is a Club Sedan a pretty rare model for sure. Maybe the parts that are missing are in the boxes you mentioned. I sent you a pm

Posted on: 2012/5/29 20:18
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Glenn Theobald
See User information
Thank you for your reply.

I believe I have most of the parts, although they are not shown in the photo. When I purchased it all the parts for this car, and many other cars, were dumped inside. I'm just going through the mess trying to figure out what belongs to this car.

I definitely have both bumpers with brackets ( but maybe not the vertical add on pieces ), luggage rack, rear Packard emblem, hood inserts, window and door hardware, head light trim and hood ornament (flat standard type). So far can't find trunk hinges and do not see that any side view mirrors were equipped.

I'm leaning toward restoration if I can afford to do it. I'll probably kick myself later if I don't.

Best,

Glenn

PS didn't get your PM

Attach file:

jpg  (170.55 KB)
4628_4fc583056dbd3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (182.52 KB)
4628_4fc585b241f7c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (194.27 KB)
4628_4fc585e2b4add.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/5/29 21:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
If you paint the car another 37 Packard color it will not impact the value.
If you don't the interior in wool as original it will.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 21:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved