Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6V Bayonet Lights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I'm sorry. I have more questions than answers. I have a few interior lights out. I know they are 6V Bayonet style lights, most have two conductors at the bottom.

I have two questions.

Is there a reference for all the bulbs used in my 1946 clipper deluxe.

Has anyone found a good source for these bulbs and are there replacment LED versions vs. incandescent?

Posted on: 2012/6/2 17:15
 Top  Print   

Re: 6V Bayonet Lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With the exception of some of the more exotic 3-filament headlamp bulbs, almost all 6-volt automotive bulbs are still stock items with most auto parts suppliers. They may not have them on the shelf, but usually can in 1 day.

Not sure about your year, but most all years of Packard listed the bulb numbers in the owner's manual, and perhaps in the parts manual as well.

This may help, it's a bit older that your car but most of it applies to most all 6-volt automotive bulbs:

Attach file:

jpg  (164.00 KB)
177_4fca930f19277.jpg 885X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/6/2 17:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the list out of the 47 owners manual which should be the same as 46. I believe that manual is on site available for download if you want it. Most of the bulbs can be found at Napa, O'Reilly or Autozone. They will probably order them if not in stock.

If that fails, here's a couple of links to bulb supply outfits to use as a last resort.

http://www.taillightking.com/light_bulbs.htm

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t.pl

Some have used LED's for tail lights and some other applications but I think the consensus is still out as to whether they are worth the added cost. Most are very directional and don't provide the general illumination off to the side an incandescent will. Depending on the supply and configuration, believe many are also polarity sensitive.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.12 KB)
209_4fca93039261a.jpg 606X375 px

Posted on: 2012/6/2 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SIX volt bulbs REGARDLESS of NOS,NORS or repops:

Some have bayonets that are COlinear. Others, somewhere about 1951or 1952 and later used staggered bayonets. Sockets of ANY car of the 6v era may have been modified over the years to accept one or the other. So check EACH AND EVERY socket of the car to determine if it has staggered or colinear bayonetts before attempting to order bulbs or replace.

I have made one fit the other by filing off ONE bayonett but it is not desireable to do.

EDIT. Look at the very bottom of the 1934 list in Owen Dynetos post above where it indicates "plane of base pin" variation but does not give details on the variation.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 18:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Wow, this is awesome information. Thanks. I think I have everything I need.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 9:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved