Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48-50 pinion seal replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I need some advice as how to replace the pinion seal on 48-50 Super 8's. Do you have to remove all of the gears and remove the seal from the inside? It appears to me that there is a seal behind a seal. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/6/6 21:09
 Top  Print 

Re: 48-50 pinion seal replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
mark the drive shaft yoke nut in relation to the threads after the drive shaft is out (very important as it is the preload on the pinion bearings) use punch to mark. remove the nut and you are at the seal- the seal can be removed from the larger metal ring that holds it (i can give you the # 0n the 8th if you need it) old original is 50066, if your auto supply has the old books they can find the new #. you must be very care full when you remove the metal seal holder, if you mess it up, you need a new old stock or one from max merrett. put sealer on the new seal when you press it into the holder (i use a vise) and sealer on the metal when you replace it. replace the nut to the marks plus just a little more stake it in several spots with a center punch or it will come loose. good luck Dell

Posted on: 2012/6/6 22:46

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
to change mine i had to drop the driveshaft pull the bolt and that was it. i had my diff out tho already changing the diff gasket and axle seals

Posted on: 2012/6/6 23:26
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thanks for the replies. Do you need a special tool to remove the seal holder?

Posted on: 2012/6/7 2:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
packardtaximan,

Dell has given you some good advice. Yes, mark the pinion shaft nut as he recommends. This is so that the nut can go back exactly from where it was removed. You must exactly count the number of turns it takes to remove the nut. Retighten the nut the very same exact number of turns. These steps are vitally important in order to preserve the preload on the pinion gear bearings. Getting the preload too loose or too tight can result in a noisy differential, or worse yet a ruined one. Good luck, and let us know how your job turns out.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/7 21:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
i have a 14 inch long scraper with a 1/4 end that i use to pry from one side to the other, also might try slide hammer. i have never had to much trouble getting one out. dell

Posted on: 2012/6/7 22:25

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Well I finally got the right seal after two re-orders. The front dust cover that the pinion seal sets in is a real bugger to remove. I totally destroyed the first one getting it out and had a 10 round fight with the second. The pinion nut is going to be by-gosh, by-golly as far as number of turns as it was only finger tight when I got it. I had it installed and it was very noisy when you let off the gas to slow down. That is when I found the loose nut and leaking seal. Tomorrow I should finish hooking up the driveshaft and take a test drive. I had to take time to make a couple of the lock tabs for the universal bolts. Thanks to all that have responded to my plea for help. Is this site great or what? Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/6/7 22:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
The test drive went without any problems. What a treat to not hear that annoying whine, however I did hear some rattles that were not detected before. Always something to adjust or fix. You just have to love your Packard.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 16:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
As everything so far has ckecked out OK, I took the 48 on a 180 mile trip. All went better than I expected. Our gas mileage increased by 2.6 mpg. I did notice a difference on the hills but nothing that required downshifting, but I live on the prairie and hills to me are just speed bumps to some.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 10:27
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved