Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hand choke on a 37, 120?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
The automatic choke on my 37, 120 coupe convertible is not working. It appears that the spring is broken in the exhaust manifold and the screws are so well rusted in that I am afraid I will break them.

In addition, the hand throttle is inoperative but the cable exists.

So, I am thinking about hooking the hand throttle linkage to the choke linkage. Has anyone done this? If so what kind of a bracket did you make on the carb. Are there any pitfalls to my idea?

Your thoughts are welcome!

Rod

Posted on: 2012/6/8 14:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Hand choke on a 37, 120?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Rod:

Very good idea. Those old automatic chokes run too rich which is bad for the motor.

A good way to free up the throttle is with Kroil. It is amazing on cables. Put it on and let it soak for a week. You can get Kroil via the junknet.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Kroil is made by Kano Labs in Nashville-do a search for Kano-you can buy direct from them-it is good stuff

Posted on: 2012/6/11 12:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for the information on Kroil. I have tried PB Blaster since I have that and it does seem to be loosing things up a bit.

My first message may have been a little ambiguous so let me get to the point. The auto choke is not working. The problem seems to be the temperature spring in the exhaust manifold. So I plan to abandon and dismantle that linkage.

The throttle cable had been broken by a previous owner and is now too short to attach to the connection on the throttle linkage but is just the right length to reach to the choke rod on the carb.

So, I plan to make a new adaptor to hook the throttle hand control to the carb and turn it into a choke control.

I have a lot more need for a manual choke then I do for a manual throttle!

I am in the process of making the adaptors, etc as I write this message. The cable is sticky so your comments on freeing it up are helpful.

Rod

Posted on: 2012/6/11 18:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
It worked! I now have total control over the choke mechanism and the car starts much better.

Rod

Posted on: 2012/6/17 9:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved