Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Another Movie Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Is anyone familiar with the old "Andy Hardy" movies that Micket Rooney played in with Judy Garland? I caught one over the weekend on TCM that was made in 1938 called "Love Finds Andy Hardy". A limo was dropping off Miss Garland at the neighbor's house and although it didn't show the grill from the front, it looked an awful lot like a '38 1608 Rollston Town Car. Andy was taken by the car and asked Garland how many cylinders it had and she quickly replied "200!". Andy shot back at her and said "no car has 200 cylinders!" and she came back with "well then it's 12 cylinders and 200 horsepower!"

Posted on: 2012/6/11 8:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Another Movie Packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the Internet Movie Car Database it was a 1937 Twelve All Weather Cabriolet by LeBaron

Posted on: 2012/6/11 8:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Thanks HH, beautiful car for sure! Something else I found interesting in the movie was that the old $20.00 Chevy that "Andy" purchased from a used car lot and fixed up appeared to have "aftermarket" wheel covers that mounted over the wheels to hide the spokes? I didn't know they made anything like that in the 30's.

Posted on: 2012/6/11 8:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
.....appeared to have "aftermarket" wheel covers that mounted over the wheels to hide the spokes? I didn't know they made anything like that in the 30's.

Gator, I can't say they were ever really very popular, but they were both Packard and aftermarket accessories for Senior cars up thru 1936 (last prewar year for wire spokes). Many folks refer to them as "Ace" covers after the name of one of the manufacturers of them.

Here's a pair of 1934 cars with them, a 34 LeBaron Sport Coupe and a 34 1101 station wagon by Bridgeport. These are fixed over the 17" wire wheels (wooden artillery and disteel wheels were also still offered in 1934).

PS - adding an image from the 1935 Eight showroom brochure showing the "Ace-type" cover.

Attach file:

jpg  (135.75 KB)
177_4fd5f87a62fdd.jpg 1211X793 px

jpg  (37.48 KB)
177_4fd5faddc417e.jpg 640X482 px

jpg  (101.57 KB)
177_4fd616e900fbb.jpg 1280X864 px

Posted on: 2012/6/11 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Thanks for offering up that bit of history Owen. I guess what struck me odd about the covers on Rooney's old Chevy was that there was a gap between them and the actual rim itself. They appeared to be too small for the wheels and you could see the spokes behind them. There was a shot or two where the front left cover actually looked off center from the wheel and the gap appeared to be wider on one side than it did the other? You can't tell much in the photo but this is the car

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_126365-Chevrolet-Confederate-BA-1932.html

Posted on: 2012/6/11 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jason Aldean. "Fly Over States" about the last 45 seconds of the video. 55 Sr. It's a quick cut to a hanger with the 55 in the forefront.

I'm surprised no one has noted this yet here. What are y'all doing anyway???? Still listening to Count Basy, the Andrew sisters or 50's hop sock music on an old cylinder record phonograph or something??? Try watching a vid once in while. Ohhhhhh yeah. THose big bands of the 30's and the 40's, Gufwa ha ha ha .

It's been on the tely for quite a long time now.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 23:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
.....appeared to have "aftermarket" wheel covers that mounted over the wheels to hide the spokes? I didn't know they made anything like that in the 30's.

Gator, I can't say they were ever really very popular, but they were both Packard and aftermarket accessories for Senior cars up thru 1936 (last prewar year for wire spokes). Many folks refer to them as "Ace" covers after the name of one of the manufacturers of them.

The Danbury Mint 1936 Packard 12 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton supposedly has them too, according to the paper work that comes with the car. I've been too lazy to check that out but it wouldn't surprise me given the great detail that offering has.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 3:05
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
My 55 Patrician was in a very short shot (just a few seconds) in a recent movie "The Express" that came out in 2008 or 2009. Sadly, the car was destroyed in a barn fire in 2010.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 22:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Phil53 wrote:
My 55 Patrician was in a very short shot (just a few seconds) in a recent movie "The Express" that came out in 2008 or 2009. Sadly, the car was destroyed in a barn fire in 2010.

Ouch! It doesn't bear thinking of....

Posted on: 2012/12/29 1:01
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
Just before the end of the year, I saw Cloud Atlas with a family member. During a shot from the 1970s portion of the story was a brief glimpse of a 1955 Clipper. Cars do not end up in movies by accident! I wonder to whom it belongs?

Posted on: 2013/1/6 12:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved