Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 193

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 grill u nuts
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Robin
See User information
On a 1951 250 does anyone know where the big clip nuts that are used to attach the grill to the fenders and the upper piece that has the hood latch mechanism can be gotten new? I have quite a few that are broken and/or not in good shape.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 23:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 grill u nuts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Not sure about 24th series, but I think you are looking for 448210 5/16-10 speednut.
I have never found a supplier of them. If you can find some in a junkyard good luck.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 7:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless Kanterhttp://www.kanter.com/packard/ might have some NOS, I think Randy is correct in that to find the perfectly proper item it will be a parts car. Mike Dulinski or David Moe may have some used clips.

They list a different clip number in 51-2 but the thread size is the same 5/16-10. Unsure about the length between center hole and edge on those. The 448210 was used 54-6 so it might fit.

The closest in modern that I've tried similar to that item is the Auveco 1907. A little different in looks but the issue is panel thickness. At .032-.064 it will fit the sheetmetal sides on the fender but is a tad tight for the diecasting and the radiator cross bar at the top. Those work out to be (on a 56) roughly .100 thick.

With careful work, you can spring them a little bit. Might be an option if the center of hole to edge is long enough for yours and the diecasting is not a radically different thickness. Wouldn't try much thicker as they can break. One other item I found at a home center some years ago has a longer center to edge distance but a similar thickness range. Being longer it was easier to open up. Unfortunately, don't have a number on that one and don't know if still available.

Restoration Specialtieshttp://www.restorationspecialties.com/ sells the 1907 individually so maybe worth ordering a few to try. If you have a body shop supplier locally they may carry the Auveco products.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.85 KB)
209_4fdb487922fbb.jpg 259X218 px

Posted on: 2012/6/15 9:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Robin
See User information
Thanks a lot for the information. See what I can do.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 13:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved