Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

bargain ultramatic
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I picked-up a used 1953 ultramatic at a very reasonable price. I started taking it apart since I wanted to verify that the direct drive and high range clutches were in decent shape. Both the direct drive and high range clutches are in very nice shape, I also saw that the first band (I forgot if it is the reverse or low band, the one that's nearest to the torque converter) had a grooved or ribbed inner bearing surface. I read that in the past that the bearing surface on the original bands was cork. Was that surface also grooved (or ribbed) or was it flat? I'd like to know, since if the grooved surface is evidence that the transmission was rebuilt at one time, I won't take it apart any further. Also, instead of jacking up the car, I am planning on getting a engine hoist and lifting out the engine and transmission as a single unit. Is this a good idea, or bad idea?
Thanks, everyone in advance.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 17:07
 Top  Print   

Re: bargain ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Bands are grooved and were never cork. Be sure to look at all the disks in the clutch pack and not just the first one; they were originally concentric rings of cork and paper. Spend a few dollars and put all new seals in--it will never be easier, and its not much money.

I am a big fan of pulling the front clip and then the engine and tranny together. There are a thousand details that can be cared for easily while it is all exposed that are a pain while it is together. Please consider running all new brake tubing while the front is off. It won't take an hour and about 20 bucks for a huge boost in safety.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 19:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Ross,
Once again you are right. I will replace all the seals. I've got the transmission on my cycle table so I can work at eye level.
Thank you

Posted on: 2012/6/15 22:53
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
Hey guys question I have a 1953 cavilier and aside from an accident an needing a new fender my transmissionis having some issues and you seem to know abit about them. So my symptOma are I just finished the brakes (new lines and honed wheel cylinders booster the whole 9) then the starter flushed the oil. Trans, plugs wires batt cleaned everything up ha the carb rebuilt rear end diff and axel seals cause it sat so long they just melted. Upon starting her up (she runs great but has a little knock, valves need adjusted?) and pumping my breaks to pressure them up and two people with blocks in front of me cause of the hill I gave her some gas and put her in gear and almost instantly died. The Guys last I was on here said drive it a bit see if you can break it loose. Bad ending on a hill. Front drivers fenders gone. I gives the breaks and decided refocus on her being drivable than looking sexy like she use too. If I work the throttle she will run and drive about a block before dying and that's in high, low is very hard to get her to run and reverse you basically have to go from park to reverse with the peddal almost one the floor to move at all it's driveing me crazy! Sorry for the rambling essay thanks for any help
-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/16 10:31
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved