Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 171

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

PAC Cormorant- Focus on 1956
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
For those who are not members of the Packard Club the Winter 2006 issue is devoted to the 1955-56 models. It has some very interesting articles on these two years.

Posted on: 2007/3/2 14:01
 Top  Print 

Re: PAC Cormorant - Focus on 1956
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks for the heads-up, Dave. I have purposely let my membership in that club lapse, but I'll try to remember to pick up a copy of that one, if I make it to Fall Hershey.

However, after reading a Letter to the Editor in the last issue that I received (#124) regarding article on product development at Packard during the 1950s (from Issue #122), where James Pearsall's opening paragraph stated:

Quote:
I received the latest TPC today and a very fine job it is. I hope we are now done forever with Predictors and the rest of that pitiful mid-fifties, last-gasp, dying warrior, down-the-tubes, over-the-hill-to-the-poorhouse, on-the-way-to-the-crematorium, waiting-for-the-wrecking-crew, paper-the-walls-with-the-worthless-stock-certificates stuff. It's something akin to Camille perishing of consumption in the last act of "Carmen."

...I can only imagine how an article on 1955-56 cars is gonna be received by the prewar snobs in that club.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 18:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Brian, I recall that letter from Jim Pearsall also and I thought it rather amusing. I can't imagine that it wasn't tongue in cheek although I never met the man. I have only been to one national meet since I joined PAC in 1990 but I think that the 55-56's are really being appreciated more by PAC. Wasn't the last National meet in Detroit as tribute to the 1956 models? They are every bit a Packard and that even though they were the last gasp of that great company they were still the best engineered and best styled cars from Detroit in those final years! Even though I was only 12 years old, growing up just across the river from Detroit, I remember from a personal standpoint how sad I was when Packard left Detroit and how much I admired the 55-56 Packards.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 21:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Dave -

I did not attend, but get the impression that PAC's 206 National was more of a celebration of the Proving Grounds and the end of Packard's Detroit operations than the V8 cars themselves.

Rightfully so, as any Packard enthusiast can appreciate the Proving Grounds, but you also need to see it in action - and can thanks to factory films "The Way Ahead" (1940) and "The Watchdogs" (1954) and "The Safe Road Ahead" (1956) that have been circulating on VHS and DVD.

When I first became interested in Packards (thanks to finding my dad's old Executive hardtop rusting away in a field back in 1976), people told me to look to a fella who was regarded as the "Packard Expert" around these parts. First thing the guy told me was that they didn't make any real Packards after WWII; I didn't waste much more time with him. If he was trying to get me interested in prewar cars, he failed miserably. I never had much patience for anyone else of that or similar mind set.

I have no doubt that some sentiments have shifted as more people became interested in cars of the '50s (and there was $$$ to be made). Still, there are some hard-liners who just have it in for the postwar cars - especially anything made under the Nance regime.

There are great things to be found in every model that Packard made, and they put out some very interesting cars in those last years in Detroit. Although I didn't own a running V8 until 1987 (a '56 Patrician), I found it highly competent out on the interstate as well as around town. Of course, the V8 cars were not without their fair share of teething pains - like any vehicle out there with a lot of new technology.

Yet, I have to come clean and admit that some people might call me a snob 'cuz I don't consider the '57-'58 cars to be Packard - except in name/title only. Those cars were well-equipped Studebakers trimmed up to resemble a Packard - though less so for 1958. Personally, I would have rather seen the '57 clays (featured elsewhere on this site) make it into production.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 22:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I was at the 2006 PAC convention in Detroit, and helped in a small way to help bring it off. The observation of the 50th anniversary of the demise of Packard as a stand-alone Detroit automaker was a big focus of the event, there was a special circle of cars at the Wednesday event at the proving grounds where one of every 1956 model was displayed. The attendance was very good and the number of cars registered was terrific, and there were a large number of 1956 models present. Yes, we did have an emphasis on the proving grounds project, where it has been a cut-bait-or-fish year, several kind donations were made by PAC Packard owners as a result of the convention that have helped that project immensely at this crucial time. The meet did not focus solely on the PPG.
I led a two bus tour of 121 people to several important historical sites of Detroit automotive history, including the Packard plant and the site of the Conner V-8 assembly plant (we actually parked the busses on the site of the plant), so in that way we celebrated the 1956 models, 1955 too!
I did not hear as much grumbling like the comments Mr. Persall made in the Cormorant, and in general have not heard much of that from (most) PAC members. There is another club, one that sells red baseball caps, consisting of self-made men who have Roman numerals following their name and who run businesses started by previous generations of their family (not all, but many) having a vocal contingent who HATE anything postwar, really starting with the introduction of the 120 and 110 models, and who truly wish Packard died with ACD, Pierce Arrow, Peerless, Marmon and the other premium brands that did not survive the 30's. When that talk starts it's time to turn the other cheek.
I just wrote and submitted an article that will appear in the next issue of the Cormorant about the history of the Conner Ave. assembly plant, Briggs manufacturing and Chrysler's acquisition of Briggs, with many never-before seen photos of the Conner plant--Mr.Persall will have to suffer through that!

Posted on: 2007/3/4 0:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Clipper47: With your post about the article that is the current TPC, got me to thinking. I just realy wonder out loud if the article has any new,to add to what has already been writtten about the 55 & 56 Packard by other writers, and Packard historians. The history of every part of Packard has been written about so many times, that just about all of it by now is just a repeat of prior history already written about Packard.

Pushbutton: So you getting an article printed in the TPC, that certainly clears the air, about a public offer you made to me about a year ago in the AACA forum. However as to not side track this thread, that offer you made will be the subject of another thread later in the week.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/3/4 21:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Clipper47: With your post about the article that is the current TPC, got me to thinking. I just realy wonder out loud if the article has any new,to add to what has already been writtten about the 55 & 56 Packard by other writers, and Packard historians. The history of every part of Packard has been written about so many times, that just about all of it by now is just a repeat of prior history already written about Packard.

John, There is a short article written by John Z. DeLorean about the Twin Ultramatic which I believe is new information. In addition there are four articles about the history of specific cars that are very interesting. Maybe not much if anything added to historical information for the expert or researcher but an enjoyable read nontheless for this tyro.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 8:42
 Top  Print 

Re: PAC Cormorant- Focus on 1956
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I was at the national Packard meet in 2006 with my 1956 Packard. The 1956 models were the cars that were focused on. We had a grand entrance to the proving grounds of all 1956 models with horns blowing all the way in. Then the 1956 models were parked in special places in circles so they could be viewed and photographed easily. I am so glad I had my car there and brought my friend Roscoe Stelford and his wife Mary in our car to enjoy the day. I am going to try and attach a photo taken in 1973 at the proving grounds with a much younger Joel Ray and Roscoe Stelford. Walter Holmes is in the center of the photo. He was about the last real Packard mechanic in Detroit.He started working at Packard dealers in 1929 and worked well past the end at the remaining dealers that still serviced Packards. He has since passed on.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.52 KB)
6_45f0b3555f1d3.jpg 720X1233 px

Posted on: 2007/3/8 20:08
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Joel, that is a great shot. I really like those kind of photos. 3 guys having a great day out with their cars.

Not to make anyone feel old, but the funny thing to me is when that shot was taken, I was 6 months old and still leaving in England.

I guess I fall into that rare group of Gen-X'rs that has taken an interest in older cars.

Posted on: 2007/3/8 23:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BigKev. U'll find (or may have already) that the classic car hobby is much more rewarding than nearly anyother aspect of the automotive world. Unlike racing or trying to keep up with latest styling or automotive trends, many of the classics NEVER go out of style, require no schedule, relatively inexpensive (if u know what u're doing) and in general is a very flexible hobby that can produce praticle transportation too.

I've even extended the concept to other area of my life. I'm the second owner of a house built in 1958 and owned formerly by an elderly couple. IT IS STILL 1958 furnishings y decor thru out. I've found some vintahe clothing to be quite outstanding too. Depends on quality and condition level.
There are but only a few hidden secrets in the old car hobby that one needs to be wise to.

Posted on: 2007/3/9 5:28
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved