Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 99

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

trouble bleeding brakes
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I am trying to bleed the brakes on my 1947 Deluxe Clipper.
The brakes were working except the front left. The brake pedal was hard near the top. I discovered the brake hose was clogged going to the failing brake. I replaced the hose, now I have air in the system, and the pedal is to the floor. You can't put a hose on the end of the screw in the bleeder connection. My manual shows there is a special tool that replaces that screw for the bleeding operation, but I don't have it. I bought a bleeder screw that has a hose fitting on the end, but it is not as long as the original screw, and I think air is getting sucked thru the threads.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:13
 Top  Print 

Re: trouble bleeding brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Make sure to always put some kind of thread sealant on your bleeder screws, that will help immensely. I used Permatex/ 65 to 300 degree thread sealant.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:20
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
Thank you for the reply.
Is there a chance I will be able to pump fluid after putting sealant in the threads, if my pedal is going to the floor now without pumping fluid? If not, what should I do?

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Make sure the fluid in your master cylinder is topped off. I'm not too familiar with the manual setups, maybe someone else can give you some advice.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:44
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A thread sealant isn't required and in any case it's risky in that it presents the possibility of introducing a foreign chemical substance into the brake fluid.

You can't reintroduce air back into the system if you close off the bleeder screw before allowing the brake pedal to return. So, standard old brake bleeder method - no special tools required - just a helper. Pump the pedal a few times and hold it against the toe board while your helper opens the bleeder, and closes it again before you release the brake pedal. Repeat until you get a solid uninterrupted stream of brake fluid. Do the wheel furthest from the MC first. Keep the MC adequately filled with fluid and check it often.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
If you have the original bleed screws, it would be best to replace them with new bleed screws, but keep the old screws. After that you can stick a hose on to the new bleed screws and put the hose down into a jar with some brake fluid all ready in it. It is best to have two people for this job. One person steps on the brake and holds it down, while the other person opens and closes the bleed screw with every press of the pedal. After you get the feel back in the brake pedal you should be ready for a test drive. Just make sure to keep an eye on the brake fluid and use slow strokes on the pedal.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 21:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved