Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Posible vapor lock solution?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
A while back, I had removed an in-line electric fuel pump that was mounted near the gas tank (it was plugged-up) and I have bought a new one, but have yet to install it.

After a parade in Cripple Creek, CO (9000 ft altitude and 93 degrees) my '50 Packard vapor locked several times throughout the day. I was told by an old-timer that he suggested that I put 'a gallon of diesel' and fill the tank with gas. I had never thought that diesel would burn in my gas engine and that if it did, my car would put out some black smoke and maybe even foul something in the fuel system? Is this sound advice? I suppose that the diesel would raise the vapor point of the fuel to mitigate the 'vapor lock' issue.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 11:04
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Posible vapor lock solution?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
bhappy, that idea has been talked about for probably the last half-century or even longer - more so since the advent of the 10% ethanol swill - with some who claim it's the cure and other who don't. I'd put in the category of "might help, can't hurt". Probably no harm in trying it with small amounts of diesel, probably a gallon or less per tankful. I did give it a try once many moons ago in anticipation of a very hot July 4th parade. I probably put about a gallon in a full tank (25 gallons); the car didn't vapor lock but then again it never had before and hasn't since. As I recall it ran OK, some slight tailpipe smoke. Just to be on the safe side I think I'd probably restrict it's use to just those occasions where you think you might encounter especially stressful conditions.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 11:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
bhappy, that idea has been talked about for probably the last half-century or even longer - more so since the advent of the 10% ethanol swill - with some who claim it's the cure and other who don't. I'd put in the category of "might help, can't hurt". Probably no harm in trying it with small amounts of diesel, probably a gallon or less per tankful. I did give it a try once many moons ago in anticipation of a very hot July 4th parade. I probably put about a gallon in a full tank (25 gallons); the car didn't vapor lock but then again it never had before and hasn't since. As I recall it ran OK, some slight tailpipe smoke. Just to be on the safe side I think I'd probably restrict it's use to just those occasions where you think you might encounter especially stressful conditions.

O_D..Thanks for the reply and, as always, your wisdom is very much valued and apreciated. One thought on the black exhaut smoke is that my VW Touareg TDI has a system that introdues a small amount of 'urea' into the fuel (a gallon lasts for 10,000 miles). Funny but maybe along with the diesel, I might 'pee' a little into the tank,as well

Posted on: 2012/6/24 11:50
Bob

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Don't put urea in the gas tank. It is an amonia type molecule that requires a catalytic converter to function.

The present emissions situation regarding diesels is insane and stupid. The cost of building a urea plant, production, packaging and shipping; produces far more pollution than the urea reduces. And the systems render the diesel far less fuel efficient. Thus, valuable fuel is being wasted and CO2 emmissions are increased so high that truckers are rebuilding old trucks rather than buying new ones (the only environmentally beneficial aspect of the EPA standard).

If you think you have a fuel problem, first check the ignition system when the motor is acting up. If that is good, make sure the fuel system doesn't have an air leak (some will suck air but not leak gasoline). Then pull a plug when the motor is stalling to check for a lean mxture.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 14:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm assuming bhappy was joking about peeing in the tank, but Tim's on target about the Urea boondoogle, another case of complete and total Government stupidity.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 15:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I experienced my '47 Custom Clipper trying to vapor lock on a return drive in heavy city traffic on a hot day from a car show a year ago. It never stopped running, but it was one of the more frustrating drives home I can remember. I had heard about adding 5% to 10% diesel to cure the vapor locking problem. I tried a 5% mixture (about one gallon in a tankful). It worked! The car runs fine, no odor or smoke is detectable. Try it, you'll like it. Simple and effective.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/24 21:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Sorry if I rattled some but I was joking. I had never owned a diesel before the VW TDI and was told that the urea was to lessen the black smoke from the exhaust. Thanks for the explanation, tho.

I discovered a similar explanation of the battery in the Ford Escape hybrid that I sold to get my '56 Packard Executive.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 22:05
Bob

Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
Every time that I've thought that I had a "vapor lock" issue, upon closer investigation, turned out to be issues with the electrical system.

High temps and / or city driving probably puts the extra strain that puts your car over the top and aggravates other conditions which normally will not prevent your car running properly.

If it truely is a vapor lock (fuel delivery) issue, an appropriate aux electric fuel pump with an on / off toggle switch should cure that problem.

Not saying it's never the issue, but vapor lock is a good way to blame the gas, which is out of your control, as opposed to blaming the condition of your car, which is in your control (and forces you to come to terms with the fact that you will have to spend the time / effort / money to actually correct the issue).

I was blaming vapor lock for my Packard's issues until I really started digging into it and found all types of electrical shortcomings. Issues that will probably choke out the engine under anything less than ideal conditions.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 23:33
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Andrew Armitage wrote:
...I was blaming vapor lock for my Packard's issues until I really started digging into it and found all types of electrical shortcomings. Issues that will probably choke out the engine under anything less than ideal conditions.

I agree with you, but for this time it was vapor lock. I know this because after the car stalled and cooled for awhile, I noticed that the glass fuel filter bowl was empty. I poured some water on the fuel lines and filter and the bowl filled with fuel. Other than this instance the car runs perfectly.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 0:03
Bob

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Alright, enuf is enuf...both my Packards have had vapor lock probems. This sence I added the diesel to the tank.

I will do the following:

1. Replace the electric fuel pump on the '50 (I mean re-place as it was by-passed).

2. Re-route the fuel through new rubber fuel line all the way to the carburetpr (by-passing the mechanical fuel pump).

3. Not drive my Packards in extreme conditions (no air conditioning after all)

I'll post the results

Posted on: 2012/6/29 11:20
Bob

Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved