Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

49 Super 8 Convertible ID Tag Dilema
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dennis
See User information
This tag is on a 49 Super 8 Victoria I am buying. It is a Burgundy car with a tan leatherette and ivory material interior. The car is an original with one repaint.

I was told by one expert that it doesnt make sense because the 2279 is correct, but the 1036 doesn't seem right. And the paint code should be a letter only.

The small tag reads G425628CE.

Any Insight?

Thanks,
Dennis

Attach file:

jpg  (115.85 KB)
4723_4ff584a850541.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2012/7/5 7:12
Resized Image
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 Super 8 Convertible ID Tag Dilema
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Welcome Dennis. Seems to me your Vehicle Plate is stating the following:

2279: 1948-9 Super 8 Victoria, the 1,036 car made. I believe this figure is appropriate as there were more than 1,036 of this model manufactured).
2440: that is a Paint Code for BF2440, which is also Code P - Grenadier Maroon Metallic
214-215: Trim Codes and they're 'Tan Imitation Leather' with 'Ivory Imitation Leather'.

So provided the Plate is original, those are the colours the car would have left the factory with.

48-9 models are not really my area of expertise, and others may clarify, or have information to add.I referred to details about the 2279 on this site. Have a look at 2279 Super 8 Victoria

There is a great reference library here and you'll be able to look up virtually any information you require on it once you have found your way around.

I can't comment about the other number quoted, but seems the car is still decked out with its original paint and trim, so appears original in that regard.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 7:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's a curious tag and I suspect it's not original but is a reproduction tag that some prior owner had data engraved on. I say this because the type font used is not the one Packard used for stamping information on the tags.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
That's a curious tag and I suspect it's not original but is a reproduction tag that some prior owner had data engraved on. I say this because the type font used is not the one Packard used for stamping information on the tags.

Plus the fact that the color and trim codes were not usually engraved- at least on mine and others I've seen. They were worn off, I had to get that info from the build sheet.

Which is another idea- you should try to find the build sheet to clarify what your vehicle was originally. They may have picked a color/trim scheme and had the tag made to match. I found my build sheet between the fill and vent tube on the gas tank.

Owen, didn't the production numbers start with 2001?

Posted on: 2012/7/5 8:27
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And to go along with a reproduction tag idea, the "small tag" would seem to be the motor number which was not on a tag but rather stamped on the drivers side of engine block.

The number would be correct for a 1948 Super Eight 327, 5 main bearing solid lifter engine. The CE indicates the engine is equipped with second design pistons & rings and a large capacity oil pan

Posted on: 2012/7/5 8:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes Joey, you're right about the sequence number beginning at 2001 - I missed that detail when looking at the photo - good pickup! Perhaps it was #2036? If so, having the thief-proof number might at least tell us how early in the production sequence this car was produced.

So quite clearly, the original patent plate has been replaced and information, some obviously incorrect, has been entered on a new blank plate. I can understand that occasionally these plates become lost in the course of a restoration or paint job, but when they are just replaced because a new one will look nicer, it's a shame because it throws out the window any hope of establishing the car's history.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 8:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:
I found my build sheet between the fill and vent tube on the gas tank.

There were two build sheets. The other one was taped to the top of the glove box.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Upper is the build sheet from the gas fill tube, lower is from the top of the glove box. Hopefully one or the other is still there. If either exists, handle with extreme care as they tend to be very brittle.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 9:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The one at the gas tank filler is the telexed chassis build slip, the one above the glove box is the body build slip. Information may vary a bit, I don't recall just how they may differ in information included or not included. This is discussed a bit in the recent Robert Neal book on the 48-50 Packards.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 10:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Lakecreature aka Dennis,
to PackardInfo. I also invite you to include the '49 Super 8 Victoria you are buying in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 14:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dennis
See User information
Thanks for all of the helpful info everyone. I kind of got a similar set of answers from Stuart of Kanter Automotive. ALthough the car looked like a major bargain, and beautiful, and in great condition, I have decided not to buy it. The seller is very upset with me as I gave him a deposit, but was scrambling to do the research necessary to feel comfortable with this investment. I always dream of owning an early Packard Conv. The car is over 2000 miles away and that was scary enough. Then I realized it does not have a correct data plate. I know they reproduce them and re-stamp them with the correct characters, but the small body tag must have been replaced at one time as it has the engine number on it. The car is titled under the engine number, not the vin...so how would I ever find out what the vin on the car is? Meaning I could never title it correctly, and if I ever restored it to perfection, I night never be able to sell it to a real Packard enthusiast. I'm sure the theft-proof number is there, but could I decipher the original vin number from that? So, I kind of backed of the car for now. I never owned a Packard, and know little about them, and I am a stickler for originality and history. Plus the investment aspect is very important to me.
Thanks again,
Dennis

Posted on: 2012/7/5 21:56
Resized Image
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved