Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1938 Packard Eight Deluxe
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jim Raymond
See User information
I'm trying to find out what extra features came with the 1938 Eight Deluxe (model 1172). It was $215 more than the standard Eight. Does anyone have a specific list? The Salesman's data book does not say.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 7:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Packard Eight Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Jim:

For your car if you look in the parts book under Group 30 -Body you will see it listed under Body Type 1172 and model 1601D Four Door Touring Sedan.

From there all the body specific parts for the car will be listed as 1172 in the applications column. For example arm rests, rear vent window parts, etc., etc..

Also in the data book your car's features are shown under Four Door Touring Sedan.

Interestingly, side mount equipment is equally obscure.

Chrysler uses the same system of parts groups and submodels except they use non-sense characters like PF, WK and so on to depict models in the parts books and service tools.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 8:06
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jim Raymond
See User information
Tim, thanks for your reply.

When I look through the 1938 Six and Eight Salesman's data book that has been uploaded to this site I don't find any description anywhere as to the details of the Deluxe package. I have looked back through, even where the Eight Touring Sedan is shown and can't find anything about the Deluxe. Can you tell me what Section and page it is on in the Salesman's book?

Posted on: 2012/7/7 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I just took a look through the 1938 Data Book for the Six and Eight and the only reference I can find to the Deluxe is the shipping weight for the 1601-D. The shipping weight is 35 pounds heavier than the standard eight. Not very helpful except to know that your $215 is getting you 35 pounds of additional 'stuff'.

Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
Interestingly, side mount equipment is equally obscure.

Obscure, but there. [Chassis, page 36.]

Posted on: 2012/7/7 10:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jim,
to PackardInfo. I presume from your query you have a '38 Eight Deluxe? If so, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 14:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to author Richard Phillips in the Kimes-edited book, the 1937 120 "Deluxe" added the following at $210 over the standard 120 model:

Automatic radiator shutters, sponge-backed carpet, full Marshall springs in seats, banjo steering wheel, clock, deluxe radiator ornament, extra quality interior trimming, and white sidewall tires.

IIRC in 1938 the automatic shutters were standard in the base 120; perhaps there were some other differences as well in the deluxe package but for $5 difference it couldn't have been too much.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 17:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jim Raymond
See User information
Ozstatman--

I don't have a Packard of any kind. I have a 1938 Lincoln Model K V-12 Judkins 2-window berline and a 1938 Nash Ambassador Eight. The Lincoln was $6,125 new and the Nash was $1,200. I am an automotive historian of sorts.

I'm curious how my Nash compares with the Packard Eight, which was $1,325 for the standard edition (the 1192, 4-dr touring sedan). The Ambassador Eight has some luxury features that were not included on the 1192; I'm curious if they came standard on the Deluxe, the 1172. That's what prompted my original query.

In general, I am wanting to learn more about the 1938 Packard Eight because it was Packard's closest competitor to the Nash Ambassador Eight. The Packard was about 10% more, but I'm curious how they compare nonetheless.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 22:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jim,

Thanks for the insights into the reason behind your query. Enquiring minds, such as yours, help to enrich all of us through the responses given. And how about a pic each of your Lincoln and Nash?

Posted on: 2012/7/8 1:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Jim Raymond wrote:
Ozstatman--

I don't have a Packard of any kind. I have a 1938 Lincoln Model K V-12 Judkins 2-window berline and a 1938 Nash Ambassador Eight. The Lincoln was $6,125 new and the Nash was $1,200. I am an automotive historian of sorts.

I'm curious how my Nash compares with the Packard Eight, which was $1,325 for the standard edition (the 1192, 4-dr touring sedan). The Ambassador Eight has some luxury features that were not included on the 1192; I'm curious if they came standard on the Deluxe, the 1172. That's what prompted my original query.

In general, I am wanting to learn more about the 1938 Packard Eight because it was Packard's closest competitor to the Nash Ambassador Eight. The Packard was about 10% more, but I'm curious how they compare nonetheless.

I recently did a comparison drive between the 1939 Nash Ambassador Eight and the 1941 Nash Six. The '41 six performed much better. I plan on writing an article on it, and haven't yet researched why the difference yet, but I was told that the '41 six was indeed better. As for comparing the Nash with the Packard, the performance of the Packard is better.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 8:11
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jim Raymond
See User information
Ozstatman-

Pics of the '38 Lincoln and '38 Nash.

My Nash is featured in the current issue (August, 2012) of Collectible Automobile in their article about the 1937-38 Nashes.

BTW, that article is rife with errors, some large. This was a surprise given it was written by Patrick Foster. I've written a letter to him and the editor about it.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.23 KB)
4728_4ff9f0d99d77b.jpg 1280X852 px

Posted on: 2012/7/8 15:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved