Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

JD in KC, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

55 clipper three prong stop light switch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BillW
See User information
Thought I saw a cross reference but can't seam to find it now. can anyone give me a number? I thought it was a switch for a VW that worked but now I'm not sure.
Thanks for any help.BillW

Posted on: 2012/7/9 11:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 clipper three prong stop light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you've switched to silicone brake fluid, you may find that the VW switch doesn't last that long either. I think the P.N.R. kit with a regular 2-pole switch (NAPA/Echlin SL-134 or equiv, included in the kit) and the little relay to control the TL is the way to go. The relay is only about the size of your thumb tip and easily hidden under the battery. A small harness adapter is needed and also included.

Attach file:

jpg  (141.49 KB)
177_4ffb0e4491f83.jpg 529X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/7/9 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
The three prong brake light switch I bought on eBay and installed on my '55 Patrician came in a box with a part number. I will look to find it - I know I didn't throw it away because it had that number. Another source would be the '55-56 Parts Book - though I'm not sure how useful the Packard number would be at this late date.

I'm using DOT 3 fluid in mine but if/when my switch dies, I'll probably go the route O_D suggests.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 12:44
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it's any help to you, here's the OEM switch with the Wagner part number. I picked up a dozen at a flea market years back for $3 each but they're all sold off now except one spare for me. Not all that easy to find at a reasonable cost.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.54 KB)
177_4ffb19a55be80.jpg 600X627 px

jpg  (58.33 KB)
177_4ffb19b763690.jpg 1280X1011 px

Posted on: 2012/7/9 12:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a thread another poster went thru for the VW part (Wells) and a Napa number for the 3 wire. Note that the VW/Napa switch is not drop in as far as electrical because of the different style terminals.

The two wire switch and relay from PNR is an excellent long term solution since it uses a commonly available switch. A mechanical conversion for anyone interested is also mentioned.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=16977#forumpost16977

Posted on: 2012/7/9 13:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That's the number that is on the box one of my switches came in. The other one, which is currently (no pun intended) on the car, looks different though the three prongs are the same type. I don't believe that I ever had a number for that one. I could take it off the car and take a picture of it if anyone would like to see it.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 14:38
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BillW
See User information
Thanks guys with all this info I'm sure I can find or make something work.Will let if I find any new parts.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 15:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I bought a conversion kit from Dwight Heinmuller and it worked.

I don't why, but I've had all sorts of problems with those hydraulic switches of late, yet years ago they didn't give much trouble at all.

I have a vile of 60 year old DOT 3. It is not the same as modern DOT 3. For one it reacts to sunlight - remember those metal reservoirs? - so I keep it wrapped in tin foil.
When I took it out of a car is was clear, but has turned brown from being exposed to sunlight.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 19:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim, if that's the VW-type kit, I could be incorrect but I seem to recall that Dwight told me a while back that he was no longer selling that kit as it had proven troublesome. A call to Dwight would resolve the question.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Has anyone of late done this replacement? My brake lights are tending to want to stay illuminated. (Yes another recent gremlim of which to contend) I have another OEM switch on the shelf ..............but wondering if I should go the crossover route?

Posted on: 2013/5/10 20:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved