Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

32 900 Hinge Pin Removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mcsilves
See User information
HELP! Does anyone know how to remove the hinge pin from the upper hinge on the front door of the 32 900 Light 8 Sedan? I want to install accessory door hinge mirrors and need to remove the pins. They are rounded at the top, flush with the hinge at the bottom. I tried tapping from the bottom, but don't want to hurt anything. Are they threaded, or pressed in? Any help is appreciated.,

Attach file:

jpg  (131.57 KB)
3799_5004bdd17aa69.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/16 20:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 32 900 Hinge Pin Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've never worked on any prewar Packards, but believe your door hinge pins are pressed in and ride on bushings. This design wasn't exclusive to Packard, let alone the Light Eight.

There was a special tool for removing this type of pin - especially when bound up from rust. The tool was sort of a hand held screw press. One jaw had an opening that went over the round head; the other jaw had a screw/pin that was applied against the opposite (flat) end of the hinge pin. Turning the screw pushed the pin out, but only part of the way; hammer and chisel were then applied underneath the head to drive the pin the rest of the way out.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 8:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've discussed this with "mcsilves" outside of this forum but haven't been able to help him. 1932 models used a different hinge pin arrangement than 33-34 (last year for external hinge pins). For what it's worth here's a picture of the 33-34 style from the Packard Service Letters. When I removed mine to mount a hinge pin mirror no special tool was needed, I just unscrewed the cap and tapped the pin out with a pin punch and a couple of light taps after supporting the weight of the door from below with a jackstand. That's essential to remove the side forces on the pin, especially so for the top hinge on doors with only 2 hinges.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.70 KB)
177_50057125dc06b.jpg 724X398 px

Posted on: 2012/7/17 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Quote:
For what it's worth here's a picture of the 33-34 style from the Packard Service Letters.

That's not worth much to an owner of a '32 or earlier Packard.

Here's a modern example of the style of door hinge pin remover that I was talking about:

Click to see original Image in a new window

...which is available for purchase at:

http://www.eastwood.com/door-hinge-pin-puller.html

...but I've seen 'em on eBay, too.

Of course, since there are only two hinges per door, the door must be supported with even just one pin removed. Further, I'll agree that it takes load off the pin for removal/installation. However, I've removed just one pin on other vehicles using similar style of hinge/pin with the door simply closed, but also supported along the bottom with some wooden shims.

Also, while using this tool on-car, be sure to protect adjacent painted surfaces with some masking tape.

However, if there's insufficient room to turn the screw of the puller installed with the hinge on-car, you'll have to open and support the door, and remove the hinge and place it in a vise.

If this simple tool, along with some penetrating oil, doesn't work, you could be in for a workout.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 10:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's not worth much to an owner of a '32 or earlier Packard.

My apologies for posting worthless information and trying to be helpful.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 10:13
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

fourpack
See User information
Brian,

I enjoyed talking to you at some length at Warren and I think you have a lot of knowledge and experience to contribute, given your long history of Packard ownership and hands-on expertise in dealing with various issues.

I have to say, though, that your choice of words in responding to Owen-Dyneto's info on hinge-pins was unfortunate and insulting.

We don't need that sort of verbiage in the Packard world.

Ole

Posted on: 2012/7/24 7:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Ole (Book) wrote:

Quote:
Brian,

I enjoyed talking to you at some length at Warren and I think you have a lot of knowledge and experience to contribute, given your long history of Packard ownership and hands-on expertise in dealing with various issues.

Yes, I enjoyed talking with you at Warren, as well - that is, until you repeatedly pressed me to rejoin PAC, but let's get to the gist of your post.

Quote:
I have to say, though, that your choice of words in responding to Owen-Dyneto's info on hinge-pins was unfortunate and insulting.

We don't need that sort of verbiage in the Packard world.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion - as am I. However, when someone comes into a thread - within minutes after a recommendation was made for a tool that would help get the job done - and they write:

Quote:
I've discussed this with "mcsilves" outside of this forum but haven't been able to help him. 1932 models used a different hinge pin arrangement than 33-34 (last year for external hinge pins).

...perhaps you can explain to me exactly how a drawing of 33-34 hinge further helps an owner of a 1932 car that "used a different hinge pin arrangement".

I know that you and Owen_Dyneto (Dave Czirr) have been friends for quite some time, but from where I sit, I see him often ignoring the wealth of information available in the archive and features of PackardInfo and from many of its members, while using its forum to direct members to PAC's own website.

On the other hand, I see that the opening query in this thread was first posted, verbatim, by mcsilves32 on "Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:04 pm" at the PAC forum:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1676

Odd then that Owen (Dave) did not provide same information on the 33-34 hinge there, before posting it here.

BTW, I can now attach an image that someone, privately, provided me of the special tool (ST-5068) that Packard recommended for removing door hinge pins from all models through the 11th Series - the very tool that I was trying to describe before Owen chimed in. The modern version that I previously referenced uses the same principle.

Ole, I neither need nor want the Packard Club (PAC) in my Packard world - for many reasons and several people that I don't care to discuss. Yet, I'm not the only one who came to PackardInfo to get away from PAC.

In closing, I make no apologies for my comments in this thread or my position with regard to PAC.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.20 KB)
103_500ece6f65830.jpg 491X262 px

Posted on: 2012/7/24 11:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Remember Gents, inflection is everything and a web forum doesn't convey that very well at all. Everyone back to their corners.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 12:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mcsilves
See User information
Thank you all for the info.
1) The info from Dave was very helpful, even though it was for the '33-34. I had been asked for the thread diameter of the pin, and his input helped me understand why I was being asked that question. It told me the '32 is different, in hinge pin form, hinge makeup, and number of hinges (the '32 has 3). This helped me communicate better with the mirror maker, to explain he needs a different measurement (pin diameter and length). Dave had already shared this with me in separate communication, and provided it to inform others as well (any info is always appreciated).
2) The info on the original Packard tool informed me how the dealers originally installed the accessory mirrors. The tool is obvously not available, but it was stil helpful info.
3) The info on the new tool from Eastwood was helpful. Unfortunately they are out of stock, and I have not found a replacement. I'll keep trying, or remove the hinge and use a vise (not my preferred method).
So all info is helpful to us car nuts. Thank you all for your time and effort to respond, it all helped me understand my specific application better. Sorry if this caused any ruffled feathers.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 0:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
This looks an interesting tool but I can't sus out how it works. Can anyone explain please?

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/7/25 9:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved