Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 114

JD in KC, 2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Windshield wiper mystery - 1956 Clipper De Luxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
My wipers have suddenly stopped working when regulated by the wiper switch, but working when connected "directly" to vacuum - one speed mode, and I wonder what function the wiper switch has, as I only seem to find the wire for what I think is the range control, when feeling/looking behind the dash.
Also as far as I can see, the details shown in both the manual
and the spare parts list (revised August 1956), don`t quite match the car`s (?), so I am a bit (much) confused.
The car is equipped whith a vaccum washer pump, which has not been operated for some years.

Can anybody please help me solving the mystery?

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/4 10:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Windshield wiper mystery - 1956 Clipper De Luxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The wiper knob operates a plastic slide inside the metal rectangle on top of motor. Moves it about 1/2 inch as knob is turned to let vacuum pass to turn on and regulate the speed. If vacuum is leaking there or the plastic has broken and slide isn't moving properly, that can affect operation. As the knob is turned, if you have the black cylinder affair for wiper co-ordinator, that will move along as the slide is moved.

The arc control is the lever controlling a valve connected to two small nipples on the switch. There should be a tee at the input supply to wiper and a small hose off to the switch. Other nipple on switch connects to the center front vacuum connector on motor. When the lever is turned, it applies or shuts off vacuum to a small valve affair in that front chamber. When activated it changes a port and cuts down the range of the sweep.

The washer is a separate assembly with the only common piece the co-ordinator attached to the motor.

Had the motor, co-ordinator or the Bowden wire operating cable been removed just before the problem started. There is a particular way things have to be assembled.

Posted on: 2012/8/4 10:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Let me cover a few other points - in addition to Howard's highly-detailed, functional explanation.

When it comes to all those hoses, I find the shop manual illustration for washer installation, in the "Accessories" section, a little confusing. Plate No. 42 in the parts book is a little easier to follow - UNLESS the car has push button control for the Twin Ultramatic.

The books weren't updated to show that, with all the additional relays mounted on left fender splasher, the vacuum-operated windshield washer jar had to be relocated to the right side cowl area, when equipped with push button transmission control. Yet, only three hoses were rerouted - one fluid and two vacuum. None of those should be causing your problem, since the washer pump is electrically activated.

Figure 13 in the "Instruments" section of the shop manual should give you a better idea of the vacuum hoses and control cable from the wiper switch to the motor - isolated from the washer hoses.

While the factory warned (in SC Vol. 29, No. 5) of the vacuum hoses being reversed at the switch, your statement that the wipers "suddenly stopped working" suggests that everything was hooked up correctly. So, I'd inspect the two hoses from the wiper switch to the vacuum motor for leaks. Tired old rubber gets awfully hard and brittle.

Beyond that, it's hard to imagine a problem with the switch, though not impossible. More likely, it's something in the vaccum motor that will require careful disassembly, cleaning, and inspection to discover. I like to do that kind of stuff myself. However, unless your handy (and patient) and can find a rebuild kit (or even gaskets), such work might be best left to a qualified rebuilder, as some internal parts are hard to come by.

Posted on: 2012/8/4 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks HH56 and BH for your promte and helpful answers.

I will check out your suggestions as soon as the rain stops (it has been raining between 3 and 4 times more than normal this "summer").

As to Figure 13 in the Shop Manual,am I to understand that the wipers are controlled by the Bowden cable and the range by hoses from the wiper cable & control assy. As for the 2 hoses mentioned I am not able to find them at all.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/4 13:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, the knob has a gear and rack assy which moves a Bowden cable. It also controls speed with the amount of slide thus vacuum it lets into the motor. There is a clamp or a screw and flat washer on the motor end for the cable housing. The wire with a tiny washer is inserted in a slot in the plastic slide. Check the clamp affair. Some are potmetal and if bent and hot holding the cable housing securely, that can cause the no operation. Others have just a washer pushing the cable housing into a bit of a recess in the casting. Check it is tight and cable housing isn't moving.

The other section would not affect the normal operation. It just means the narrow arc function is not there. In normal operation that selector valve gets no vacuum so the full sweep is automatically selected.

You mentioned your setup is not quite the same as the manual. If someone has installed a different motor without the arc setup, there would be no need for the extra hoses. The proper motor has a small nipple in the center of motor front facing toward the drivers side. The source side has a small Y shaped tee affair in the 1/4" hose a couple of inches before it connects to the motor.

Posted on: 2012/8/4 13:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks for speedy answer.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/4 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Well, since we are talking wipers....

Mine do not appear to go into high speed. The knob has a lever-type switch at its base which moves left and right. I assume this lever is to select high speed and low speed. If I assume correctly, it appears to have no effect on speed.

EDIT: HH, you wrote this above. So, maybe I am misunderstanding. "The arc control is the lever controlling a valve connected to two small nipples on the switch. There should be a tee at the input supply to wiper and a small hose off to the switch. Other nipple on switch connects to the center front vacuum connector on motor. When the lever is turned, it applies or shuts off vacuum to a small valve affair in that front chamber. When activated it changes a port and cuts down the range of the sweep."

The lever is for range, not speed?

Posted on: 2012/8/5 8:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Correct, the lever activates a mechanism to change the port selection inside the motor. That directs vacuum in such a way the blade travel is reduced. Less time needed for the shorter sweep to complete equals a higher "speed". The true actual speed control is via the regular knob. The amount knob is turned moves the main slide valve to control the amount of vacuum to the motor.

If yours isn't going into high speed check the vacuum at the small tube at center of motor. When lever is off or in left position there should be no vacuum. When lever is vertical you should feel regular vacuum which would then activate the mechanism. If the small tubes are reversed, that could be one cause as would be a bad tube -- although you should be hearing a vacuum leak at the switch or at the break in those situations. If all seems well, then the motor most likely needs some attention.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.08 KB)
209_501e7bc175403.jpg 590X447 px

Posted on: 2012/8/5 8:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Thanks for clarifying. I don't think I am getting any variation in speeds. I am sure this would have to do with the position of the set screw on the Bowden since I took it off before. I will look into it.

The lever issue could be just incorrect mapping of hoses. I found the discussion of that in the Instruments section of the Service Manual. It doesn't say much about it, but hopefully the picture is accurate.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My dim recollection, the arc control will not function if the position of the two small hoses at the control switch are reversed.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 9:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved