Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

overhauling 374CI engine
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

33su8
See User information
I'm trying to overhaul my 56 374 cubic inch engine with UT on a limited budget. I'm not sure what parts I will need. I am getting the oil pump kit from Mr. Vines. I know of Egge parts, Max Merrit parts, and Kanter parts. Any suggestions of other sources ie. Napa,etc. Thank you.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 22:05
 Top  Print   

Re: overhauling 374CI engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2012/8/15 22:15
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

33su8
See User information
thanks

Posted on: 2012/8/19 20:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Patrician Industries--known as Packards1 here, Bob Stoltzfus in PA, Mike In Minnesota has a LOT of used parts, great guy to deal with. Check the X-reference list here for NAPA and common auto store parts. The thing that will cost you is pistons. Egge makes them, some users have had issues, others have had none at all other than some noise when cold. There are other options with various made-to-order racing piston manufacturers. None of them are cheap.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm told that the original pin bushings are not easily available but that FM 2304 (Federal Mogul) wrist pin bushings are easily adapted to the Packard rod.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Doesn't Kanter now have original autothermic pistons or is that only for inline eights??

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i believe that EGGE is making the 374 pistons like original now.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:50
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Doesn't Kanter now have original autothermic pistons or is that only for inline eights??

Randy, I think I'm up-to-date on this; yes, auththermic strut pistons for most or perhaps even all of the in-line engines. But you may recall that when he offered to have autothermic pistons made for V8s, only 2 or 3 people expressed interest in the venture so I believe the project died for lack of demand. I always was disappointed by that as I was the one who tried to interest Dan and Fred in that project. But for 9 or 10 more people expressing interest we might have had them and Packard V8 owners really missed the boat on that. Not that there seem to be any problems with the current Egge pistons except for those building a really hi performance motor.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 12:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
A few months ago, this post updated the old thread on V8 Pistons to advise that Egge now has "steel strutted" pistons for the 352 and 374 engines.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I've got many of the V8 rebuild parts at less than the Kanter/Egge/Terrill list prices. PM me if you have a need.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved