Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Recent Comments
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 54

Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Needed Thermostat housing
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I need a thermostat housing(neck) for a 288 Clipper 1954. I think most of them are the same for the 51 to 54 and maybe most straight eights. Mine is pitted and will not seal with the gaskets I have been using. Also need the number for the correct gasket as the one I have used from NAPA are marginal at best for sealing surface and could use a wider base.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 9:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Needed Thermostat housing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Willis:

I don't deal in Packard parts anymore, but if you want to repair your housing that is possible using West Systems G-Flex epoxy. Or you can take it to someone who solders well (more expensive).

Also, make you own gasket using either heavy FelPro paper or imitation cork. Use a silicone sealer and let cure for 24 hours before filling.

Also, if the head is pitted, fill those with epxoy as well.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 9:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if the JBWeld or epoxy you apply doesn't work, finding used may not result in one in much better condition than yours. One might be slightly better or have had the same repair and just painted over.

Max may have quality rebuilt exchange although he says inquire. Unless someone has NOS, you may have to bite the bullet for a non rusting repro cast out of brass to be sure of what you get. A PI region sells those. http://www.packards-today.com/catalog.php?CID=7

Posted on: 2012/8/28 10:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions. Before I go $70.00 I will try the epoxy sealer and cork gasket.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 10:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would NOT use true cork for the gasket. As Tim suggested, use gasket paper (buy an assortment of types and thicknesses from someone like NAPA) or synthetic cork. True cork is best used for surfaces like oil pans, valve covers, and the like.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 11:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
If the housing is the same as 40's straight eights, I have a good one for you. Can send picture if you are interested. $20 plus shipping and it's yours.
Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/8/29 5:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks

I am trying a improved gasket procedure first to check it . I don't know if a 40 will fit, but a picture will help. I would rather have a good housing than rely on a special gasket set up.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 9:33
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The earlier housings use a sleeve to hold the thermostat in place, the later ones use a wire retainer.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 13:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I remember now on one of the blogs that discussion. If all else fails a new one for $70.00 will be on order.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 13:50
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I a using one of the new bronze reproductions. I am sure it will out last me, as it's made like brick outhouse.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 14:39
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
1937 Packard 115c Conn. (07/02/2021)
1937 Packard 115c Conn.
1953 Mayfair (06/26/2021)
1953 Mayfair
IMG_20210324_172433493.jpg (03/28/2021)
IMG_20210324_172433493.jpg
Photo of the Day
Rodney Rucker's 2,400 ci Packard V12 powered Blastolene Daytona Special - fvr
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved