Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 170

Duane Gunn, Paul E. Gallagher, Joe, Sharkey, Danny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine overheating
Just popping in
Just popping in

Glen
See User information
Is there a "common" reason for the 327 straight 8 to run hot? It would appear we may even have a head gasket issue as well. This engine has less than 100 miles on it since it was rebuilt. Any info is appreciated
Cam

Posted on: 2008/5/28 21:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine overheating
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Were the water passages completely cleaned of all rust during the rebuild? Also was the water distribution tube cleaned, checked and replaced if needed? This is often over looked and a cause of chronic overheating.

Some obvious things to check are a plugged up radiator, dodgey waterpump, bad or partially opening thermostat or engine timing advanced to far.

If you have a bad head gasket, then frankly all bets are off and that could be the cause of the overheating.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 21:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All the things suggested here are good candidates to check out, but the radiator should be at the top of the list. As an engine ages and accumulates miles, the amount of friction it produces gradually reduces due to piston ring wear, etc. At the same time the radiator also looses efficiency but isn't noticed because it's dealing with less and less heat. When you rebuild the engine, you're back to a maximum heat load which the aged radiator can no longer handle. I'd pull the radiator and take it to a competent shop for cleaning and evaluation of its flow rate and overall condition.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 8:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A good friend had chronic overheating problems on his 51 which turned out to be the heat riser valve not opening.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 9:18
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

TBrandon
See User information
The heat riser valve was indeed the cause of overheating in my '51 as well. I couldn't find a Packard spring, so I'm trying to craft a Chevrolet spring to work.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 19:50
T L Brandon
Newport, Virginia
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
what the hell do you need a heat riser valve for in Virginia Martha. You don't live in upstate NY in the 50's in the winter. Prop it open or better yet remove it and plug the side holes.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 20:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Both Kanters and Max Merrit carry the heat riser springs. I belive I bought mine from Kanters.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 23:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved