Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radiator for a 22nd Super-8...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi all,

I've got a 22nd 2271 Super-8 (manual trans). ...and due to a poor previous restoration, I've got some oddities that I'm trying to correct.

I pulled the radiator and I was going to get it flushed and pressure tested. There doesn't seem to be a tag (like my standard 8 McCord radiator has) on it.

How can I tell if I have the correct radiator for my engine. The Hollander manual is a bit confusing.

I do have a four core radiator. Are the tops and bottoms of the units interchangeable? The lower outlet seems quite corroded. So I may need to hunt up a new one. (anyone have one?)

Thanks!

Mark

Posted on: 2012/10/29 16:19
 Top  Print 

Re: Radiator for a 22nd Super-8...
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
For what it's worth, my 51 200 288 continually ran too warm with the original radiator after I rebuilt the engine as a 327. (used crank, rods etc out of a 327 with a cracked block) I took the radiator to my local shop and had them put the biggest core they could fit on the top and bottom tanks. That worked well, and ran just under $500. I would recommend this path, as even if you find a NOS radiator, you will probably have to clean and rod it, and then pray that the old copper hasn't weakened over the years. A good shop should be able to rebuild the bottom outlet as well.

Posted on: 2012/11/1 13:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Yes, I am rebuilding a new 327. ...as the old 327 had many 288 parts (intake, exhaust and carb) I'm concerned that the radiator is from a 288 also. (did I mention that the block had cracked)

So, I'm trying to figure out what (radiator) I have. I am going to have the radiator rebuilt, so I want to know if the difference in the radiators is the cores, or if the whole unit is different.

I have a radiator from a 288 (confirmed). I will compare them.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2012/11/2 10:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Sorry, didn't answer the question, As I remember, the 288 radiator core was about 1/2" thinner than the 327 version. Tanks were the same I think. The 288 radiator is now gone to the crusher as it was pretty much toast.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 19:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, there are some options on the replacement for your radiator core: Larger tubes, staggered tubes, more tubes. I would suggest you get the highest capacity core that will fit with your top and bottom tanks. And, as has been suggested earlier, a good radiator shop should be able to repair the lower hose fitting.

I had the radiator core replace on my 47 Custom Clipper a couple of years ago. I choose the larger number and staggered tube option. Not inexpensive but a good investment for your Packard.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/11/2 21:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved