Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 47

Joe, David Timberlake, BigKev, flopperwatcher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

2-tone paint job on 23rd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I have my 1950 Deluxe Touring Sedan 23rd series Packard stripped for a massive paint and rechrome job. The car is the original Maumee Maize (yellow) color now. However I want to paint the bottom of the body Packard Blue and redo the original color on the roof. Does anyone know how to get the look of the original lacquer paint? The modern paint just looks wrong (too shiny) for a 63 year old car.

Does anyone know where to get paint in Packard Blue? Apparently it has to be water based piant to be legal in California.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 23:35
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: 2-tone paint job on 23rd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
acknowledging that it's your car and you can paint it as you wish, be aware that the color combinations the factory offered are quite limited. You can work them out from a paint chart. I'm more familiar with the 22nd combinations (3 top colors over Egyptian Sand, plus maybe a two tone green)but many combos you may have seen and which make sense were not factory options if that matters to you. I don't think there was a Blue Lower combo after the 21st series

Posted on: 2012/12/10 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Also acknowledging that it's your car to do with as you please, the 23rd series didn't offer 2-tone at all. With the 22nd series, the dark color was on top over the lighter bottom color.

At any car show I have attended, my lacquer finish (black) is as deep and shiny as any of the modern paints used on the row upon row of resto-mods, hot-rods, Camaros, and Mustangs.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 10:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
First-there are 2 Packard blues-a royal blue and the dark almost black blue. I assume you are asking about the dark blue. I painted my 47 Packard this color. I had a color chip from a friend. It turns out this color was used on 93 Mitsubishi called Princeton blue code ac10997 another number is 5b-47927 00(a). Not sure what the numbers actually mean. It turned out nice-the only time you can really see the blue is in bright sunshine.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know if authenticity matters to you, but if so there were 5 two-tone paint schemes in the 22nd series but none in the 23rd series.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Not to get too picky (ok, maybe a little picky ) ... the parts manual shows 7 two-tone combos and the Data Book shows 8 7 for the 22nd series. Although some of these combos may have been cancelled during production, I assume they would all be valid for a 22nd series Packard. In all cases of the 22nd series two-tones, Packard matched metallic with metallic and did not mix metallic with non-metallic (as would be the case of Packard Blue and Maumee Maize).

Posted on: 2012/12/10 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
time for me to learn:

what are the other 22nd 2 tones?: I'm familiar with Serpentine green/golden green, Agate Blue/Egyptian Sand, Lexington Green/ES, Sardonyx Brown (later Aztec Brown)/ES

Posted on: 2012/12/10 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Data Book:
Serpentine Green/Golden Green [DF]
Sardonyx Brown/Egyptian Sand [IC]
Lexington Green/Egyptian Sand [JC]
Agate Blue/Egyptian Sand [HC]
Aztec Brown/Egyptian Sand [MC]
Sylvan Green/Egyptian Sand [NC]
Coronet Blue/Egyptian Sand [SC]

The Data book has an error and shows Combination 'MC' twice. I didn't pick up on that... so I corrected the number to 7 on my original post.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
thanks - I forgot there is an "early" and "late" set of green/brown/blue top colors. I don't think I've ever seen the two tone green on a car (although the single color green is common enough. I don't think the combo's on the 22nd are as attractive as the 19th - 21st ones overall.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 14:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think the combo's on the 22nd are as attractive as the 19th - 21st ones overall.

Second that. I'm partial to blues and think the blue/gray and blue/silver-gray combos of those years are hard to beat. Works well on both original or Clipper styling. The 22nd blue/sand just isn't the same.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 15:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved