Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

51 hood ornament rubber gasket?
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
While the 51 is in the paint shop, I've been cleaning and polishing the stainless steel and the chrome trim. Question on the pelican hood ornament - is there supposed to be a rubber gasket under the long curved part that sits on the hood? I was debating applying a thin coat of clear ATV and letting it cure for a few days before I install it. I don't want the ornament chipping the paint, not at the price of the paint job!

Any comments?

Posted on: 2012/12/28 20:44
 Top  Print 

Re: 51 hood ornament rubber gasket?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think there was any kind of cushion originally or at least the parts manual doesn't list any gasket item. The RTV wouldn't hurt but I'd wonder if it is strong enough to stay in place and not get squeezed out when the screws are tightened.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 21:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
David, my '51 came with the Pelican Hood Ornament and when I removed it before taking the hood off there wasn't anything under it but the hood. I understand your question about that as there a gaskets all over the car for seemingly much the same proposition. Just make sure that when you reinstall it you use new lock washers and tighten firmly but not excessively.

The 51-54 Factory Service Manual covers this for the dealer on the second page of the accessories section. It suggests touching-up the edges of the newly drilled holes (on the 200 series)"with lacquer of the same color as the bonnet." then it says "tighten securely. No mention of gasket.

Hope this helps,

Posted on: 2012/12/29 0:47
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As others have concluded, there was no pad or grommet for the hood ornaments, just make sure the curvature of the ornament matches the curvature of the hood and that no burrs are present. Don't overtighten! There is often a cup washer under one or more of the screws to spread the loading and if there isn't, I'd suggest using one.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 9:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Has anyone ever found a source for Packard cup washers? They use these in a variety of ways. On a 56 they sit under the bolt for the parking lights, they spread the load for chrome mouldings on fender skirts and they hold up the relays,etc. for the pushbutton relays and circuit breaker just to name a few.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 14:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Randy, those things seem to be scarce and not easily found or apparently used much anymore. I did find:

Nylon -- several places in several sizes.
Steel -- a couple. The place Brian mentioned and another that also makes them to order. But---Just like the Caribbean seat back latch thingy, both places apparently only sell by the bushel.

I did find a drum place that has a similar shape washer/screw assy close in looks to what we need. Sells by the piece very reasonably but no info on actual size or if the screw is removable. They are called screws for lugs on metal shells and another one is called a screw for tube lugs on metal shells.

Any drummers or guys with kids that are drummers in the group that know anything about where or what these things fit and how big they are?? If it is something commonly used maybe there is even a music store close by that might carry them.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.77 KB)
209_50df50397abd4.jpg 405X372 px

Posted on: 2012/12/29 15:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
There was one cup washer on one of the bolts. The trunk emblem had a similar washer on it as well. I think I will use a fender washer with a rubber washer under it to help spread the load and any vibrations caused by the wings lifting under extreme velocity......Got carried away. I may try taking a fender washer and shaping it into a cone on my old anvil. thanks

Posted on: 2012/12/29 21:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I used some roller shaft cap nuts (google it, you will recognize them) that you can pick up at the hardware store. Just drilled a hole in the middle, worked pretty good on my hood ornament.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 22:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have a '51' and I take my hood emblem off and on routinely as I'm concerned about parking it in some locations. I don't use a gasket and have never had a problem chipping the paint. But then I have not just spent mega $$$ on paint. Though I would still would remove it even if I had spent mega $$$.

I also lock my hood by drilling a hole through the long shaft that goes the through the hood locking mechanism. It is an easy matter to reach through the grill to lock/unlock it and place a lock through the hole.

Even though I live in a good neighborhood and safe community and may seem a little paranoid, I just know that there is some dumb little SH%&** that would love to have it sitting on their desk.

These opinions are entirely those of the author and no claim or guarantee is made as to their accuracy or application other than to his '51 Packard.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 10:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That isn't paranoia, just "perfect awareness".

Or as a poster I had in my dorm room in college read:
"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!"

Posted on: 2012/12/30 15:43
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved