Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

tappet noise from poor lubrication
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

fogfather
See User information
Is there anyone who has had a problem with water in the oil. I have a 1940 120. After I finished the r and r of the head gasket and fixed that problem of the water getting into the oil,I discovered that the tappets made a racket. I took off the panels and they all were adjusted right but oil was just seeping from the tappet lubrication holes. I have changed the oil 5 times and flushed it twice with engine cleaner. Now I have added mystery oil and low there is no mysterious silence or better lubrication. I took the car out on the hyway and there still was a lot of noise. The car is an older restoration so I have some confidence that the oil pump is ok. I believe that the oil galleries are clogged or maybe the oil pickup screen is covered with the old mayonaise oil. Other than that it must be the pump.
I would appreciate any input or suggestions that anyone out there would have. thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/6 17:23
 Top  Print 

Re: tappet noise from poor lubrication
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Fog:

Unfortunately you probably need a valve grind with new guides and springs. If you haven't run the motor very long you can reuse the expensive new gasket.

If you don't plan on driving across the country you can just put up with the noise, but eventually it will start using a quart of oil every 30 miles.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 20:39
 Top  Print 

Re: tappet noise from poor lubrication
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

fogfather
See User information
thanks for the info could you elaborate a little more on for example the cause of the noise and why is the oil just seeping out of the holes by the lifters. thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/6 21:13
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved