Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The Door Lock that Wouldn't
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Neither outside door lock works on my Clipper, which obviously bothers me when I have it parked away from home. The trunk key will slide into the lock, but it won't turn. What I'm think is when my car was restored, replacement door handles were installed, but either a) the necessary keys were lost or b) one of the subsequent owners forgot to pass them on. Of course, neither key works on the glove box either.

Is it possible that the door handles may be the original ones and the locks need to be removed and serviced, or should I replace the locks and add the door locking keys to the ignition and trunk keys?

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:54
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Re: The Door Lock that Wouldn't
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'd want to "recode" the door lock cylinders to match the existing ignition key, which should have a round head. While just that much might be possible for a seasoned DIYer, I recommend you seek out a willing and able locksmith in this case.

If the other key, with an octagonal-shaped head won't turn either the trunk or glovebox lock, hand this over to the locksmith, too. He should be able to determine if both cylinders are functional and coded the same. If coded differently, I would expect the glovebox to more likely be original, and would want the trunk lock cylinder recoded to match. Heck, it's possible, after all these years and work, it's possible that neither lock matches the existing key - if it is even original.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
While getting the help of a good locksmith is certainly a good way to go, if you can remove the lock cylinders it's very simple to rework to fit any existing key which will enter - just file the protruding tumblers flush with the cylinder with the key inserted. Another way to go is, if on removing the lock cylinders you can read the number often stamped on the edge, then any competent locksmith can cut a key based on that number. Maybe first, if you have nearby friends with Packards, try all their keys first - there were in most Packard years only 250 different key configurations and the same ones were used for decades.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
BH and Owen:

Those are good suggestions, thank you. I did ask a local lockssmith about the door locks and he suggested spraying WD-40 into the locks and seeing if that made them turn. Needless to say, it made no difference. I am a DIYer only so far -- a wise man knows his limitations and when to take things to professionals!

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:40
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know how much u've tried to get the keys to work by "jiggling" the key(s). Put key in lock. Pull key out just slightly maybe 1/64" and try to turn it again. Raise or lower and tilt key with gradual increments. 4 or 5 minutes worth of time experimenting mite very well determine what the problem is. If the keys appear to be rather new then deburr them on a power wire brush or lightly scraping edge with a pocket knife.

Owen gives good advice on trying different keys. First i would attempt to debur the key and try 'jiggling' it in the lock. Just don't try to force anything by strong arming.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard's standard for locks and keys was the ignition and door locks shared one and the glove box and trunk the other. Have you tried your ignition key in the door locks?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/7 10:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As long as we're on the subject, should owners of older Packards stumble across this thread, Packard's standard for locks and keys in the mid-30s (before built-in trunks and locking glove boxes, and how much before and after I don't know) was a dedicated key for the ignition and a second key for the door lock and the Oakes lock on the sidemounts (if so equipped). They used the same ignition lock cylinder from 1935 thru 1956 and key numbers for most of that time were P-1251 to P-1500; prior to 1935 and back to the earlier 30s the range was P-601 to P-700. If you have a well preserved Packard between 1924 and 1937 (and perhaps earlier and later) you can often still find the key numbers stamped in ink on the reverse of the patent plate. There, for those who didn't know it, the secret is out about where they hid the key numbers!! All a knowledgeable car thief had to do was open the hood, remove and flip over the patent plate, select from only 250 (or less) keys, and drive your Packard away.

If anyone has a patent plate earlier than 1924 (1st Series Single Eight and Six) or later than 1937 that has the key numbers stamped on the reverse of the patent plate, that would be useful information.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I have tried the ignition key in the doors and tried to jiggle them around. I'll try pulling them out slightly. The ignition key appears to be original and the trunk key has been around a long time too. I've had the burr problem before when I got copies of my house keys. I did try the trunk key in the glove box and it did not work. Oh well ...

Posted on: 2013/6/7 12:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved