Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
248 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 245

Ozstatman, moodydavid16, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Article on development plans for Packard plant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information

Posted on: 2013/7/17 5:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Article on development plans for Packard plant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Interesting article, but I have a lot of doubts about its likelihood of completion. It begs the question -- where is the $350 million going to come from? And 15 years is a veritable eternity in terms of a development project, likely to be left blowing in the winds of bureaucratic storms and impatient investors.

I also have my doubts about the structural integrity of the plant. From all that I have read and from the photos I have seen, the overall state of the structures are poor. Sinking millions into their restoration could be like pouring water through a sieve. Just like trying to figure the costs of restoring a car at the beginning of the project are invariably low, it is likely that the developer's figures are similarly low. Who is going to pick up the tab when the project exceeds the its budget?

Finally, I think it is doubtful that the name Packard has the same recognition as Coca-Cola. You can buy Coke at any 7-Eleven or gas station; you only see Packards on the road now and then and at car shows. It has been 55 years since the last car bearing the name Packard rolled off an assembly line, which means that most people who can recognize a Packard are either over 70 years old or are afficionados such as ourselves. Who among us has not been asked, "What brand of car is that?" and upon answering is followed by "Who built it?"

There was a time when Buster Brown shoes and Burma Shave were household names. Not anymore. In an age in which people can't remember who was president before Clinton and the origins of the term "doozy," how does Mr. Hults expect folks to remember Packard as a popular brand of automobile? I am surprised that even Mr. Hults remembers to brand, since it closed down production in Detroit the same year he was born.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 8:02
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved