Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

56 Clipper Fuel pump is leaking
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

My Clipper has a small problem, the fuel pump is leaking.

The pump still works but when it leaks gas, it's very dangerous to cause fire!

So far I can check it out it leaks at the middle, I think the gasket is worn... ?

I found allready on the net information about repairkits for the older models of Packard Carter fuelpumps ( these with vacuum unit on it ) and also a repair instruction here on the board for a 54 Clipper pump.

Does anyone knows if there is a repair kit for the 55-56 pumps? Where can I buy it?
A gasket set can help me solving this problem.

I found at the Kanter listing only rebuilt pumps.

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/7/21 17:23
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print 

Re: 56 Clipper Fuel pump is leaking
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Here in the states, try "Antique Auto Parts Cellar":

http://www.then-now.com/The_Cellar/cellar.htm

Posted on: 2008/7/21 18:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Xavier,

Or you could try Max Merritt

http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/

Or eBay

Posted on: 2008/7/21 18:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I really, really like the Antique auto parts cellar.
Great vendor.
Do yourself a favor, go through the whole fuel system--the flex hose, the hard line, the tank, make sure eveything is in good working order or like new while you are down for the pump. make sure the tank isn't full of crud.

Posted on: 2008/7/21 20:49
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I've checked the MaxMerrit page and found a the pump with ref 2198 and the inlet hose with ref 419506.
The pump costs $ 90.- I think I will buy a new one also with a new hose and order also a repairkit for $ 55.- .
So I can try to repair the leaking one, it gives me a spare pump if I don't fail the job.

Are these MaxMerrit (replica) pumps as good as the old ones? ( or maybe better? )

When I disconnect the fuel inlet hose, do I have to plug the fuel line for fuel loss?
The gas tank is still halfway full... !

I've read in the service manual that the rocker arm of the pump must be inserted correctly in the enginewall. How can I know what's right and what's wrong?

Thanks!

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/7/23 17:00
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There will usually be some gas siphoning back from tank so be prepared.

The bit about installation is make sure the pump arm lever is on the BOTTOM of cam so cam pushes on the flat smooth part of arm when operating.

Depending on where the cam is, the spring in pump may give a bit of resistance. You can bump starter to get cam at top for least pressure or you can also just fight the spring by holding pump body and forcing arm down when tightening pump to engine but it does take a bit of pressure.

Either way be careful to have body flat against mounting before tightening bolts because the pot metal timing cover won't take much abuse before stripping threads.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 18:21
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Quote:
You can bump starter to get cam at top

Thanks!

What do you mean with 'bump starter'? Giving a short start with the starter, or putting the car in gear and rock the car?

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/7/24 16:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Xavier, "Bump start" simply means to engage the starter either with the ignition key or a remote start switch commonly used by mechanics to set the timing mark onto TDC or to get a distributor lobe to open the points for tune up purposes. It this case it is meant to "bump" the starter a fraction of a turn to get the fuel pump cam lobe to a position where it offers the least resistance on the fuel pump arm.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 16:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
OK!

Thank you!

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
If your car has torsion level you can put the front of the car all the way up and shut off the switch. That should stop the fuel from the tank from flowing out.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:26
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved