Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 85

kevinpackard, Pipesargent, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ebay exhaust systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Has anyone have any input about the dual exhaust systems being sold on ebay by Klass Kollections and Classic auto exhaust systems. I don't recall hearing anything (good or bad) about either but, I do recall reading a thread a year or so ago about someone having trouble with Kanters system for the dual 56 Packard. I need to replace both sides, starting with the mufflers all the way back. The pipes from the eng. exh. manifold seem good back to the mufflers but, i'll replace everything while I have it on jack-stands and blocked up.

Posted on: 2008/7/19 20:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Ebay exhaust systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My recommendation is to replace only what u need to. I would avoid SS systems. If they need to be bent a little one way or the other then SS is EXTREMELY difficult to bend.

I used a Florida vintage exhaust supplier 7 years ago. Had problems with it. The supplier stood well behind his product but there were still OBVIOUS problems with one of the pipes.

Posted on: 2008/7/19 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Any sustem u buy look REAL CLOSE at the RIGHT tail pipe. If it has a sharp 90 degree bend in it then it probably won't work. I'm not sure how the Fla supplier stocked his parts but i'm guessing that the pipes were bent on demand and he got my rite rear tail pipe screwed up. Even the second one he sent me had the sharp 90 degree bend in it.

Posted on: 2008/7/19 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
That is one of the major drawbacks to buying off the internet, you can't see the actual parts, just pictures of facimilies with no drawings or demensions.Both of the ebay vendors, "Klass Kolections" and the Classic auto exhaust suppliers" say they bend them to exact OEM dimensions but if that is true and they have quality control, there shouldn't be a problem. The problem is even if they do replace defective or ill fitting parts, there is still additional cost of shipping back, sometimes more than once.
I have tried to find a local (50 mile radius) shop that will custom bend the pipes and can supply the mufflers and resonators but, here in the tidewater of Virginia I haven't had any luck. I saved the old tail pipe and muffler from the left side, and the right side is still intact (albeit shot full of holes)on the car. The car didn't have resonators installed when I bought it but, I would want to add them back to the system.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used the Kepich dual package with resonators (not SS) on my 56 and everything fit well except the first pipe that bolts to manifold & heat riser valve on drivers side. There was a small angle mismatch and flange wouldn't quite bolt flat. Had that corrected (easy & quick) at a local shop and also had chrome tail pipe extensions put on that extended the pipe a bit past the bumper opening so the acid wouldn't drip on chrome.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I've used Kepich for several years now. I've installed systems/pipes for 34 through 49 cars. A year or so ago, I received a pipe that was for the wrong wheelbase. After a phone call, they sent me the correct one at no cost. Plus they did not ask to have the first one returned. As you can see my experience has been good with them.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 13:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wish I could report a good experience with Kepich (the elder) but I can't. Bought a complete stainless system for a 34 Eight some 35 years back, and not only did the pipes need to be rebent (which is not a trivial chore), the muffler sounded like a B-29 at full throttle. But he refused to make good on a return, claiming the muffler "met all specifications". I had a better muffler made by Hibernia and committed his to the scrap heap, and I've never done business with them again, and never will. If I needed a muffler for a Classic Packard of that vintage again, I'd go to Borla East; I've seen their shop, their huge collection of original prints and specifications and patterns, and their workmanship is top notch. Not cheap, but correct and well-made parts usually aren't.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 13:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I have put entire dual systems (less resonator) from Kepich on two 56 Seniors. The first was mild steel and the second was stainless. Both fit perfectly and were easy to install, though I had to make some hangers.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out of curiosity, how long ago did u order and install the 56 Sr exh. systems?????

Posted on: 2008/7/20 16:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did my Caribbean about 10 yrs ago

Posted on: 2008/7/20 16:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved